New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Leupold series
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just seen the 2002 Leupold brochure announcing the replacement for the Vari-X II line. Surprise! It's not one new line, but two: the VX-I and VX-II lines. And, another surprise, they will both continue to be made in America at the Oregon plant.

No pricing information is available, but the VX-I is now the price leader model, with a 2-7, 3-9, and 4-12, all available only in gloss and without AO. The VX-I has single-coat lenses and friction adjustments.

The VX-II line has matte and silver finishes available in addition to gloss, 1/4 minute click adjustments, and multi-coating on the EXTERNAL lenses only (had to leave something to hype for the Vari-X III's).

No information is available about the erector system and other internal features, but there must be some differences because the specifications table gives a bit less eye relief and field of view for the 3-9 model in the I vs. the II. It also shows the maximum actual magnification for the I at 8.5X and the II at 8.6X. Weight and dimensions appear identical for the I and the II and are also similar to, if not identical to, the original Vari-X II.

My guess is that the VX-I will be a bit cheaper than the current Vari-X II and the VX-II will be a bit pricier.

Would be interested if someone has additional information not contained in the literature.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello
Are these Leos click or friction adjustable turrets?

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Matt77>
posted
why did they have to mess with perfection?
geez, guess all those years of dependable vari-x IIs weren't good enough proof.
Must have been talkin' to the government, cause the fix if even if it isn't broken theory is being applied here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are improved, with better optics. The prices are decent too.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote