Find
Notify
Tools

How many Rem 788 action lengths?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have a Rem 788 in 223 that I want to mount a scope on. Assuming that it was a 'short' action, I obtained a NOS Redfield Jr mount. The mount was new and in original wrapper. The mount is inscribed on the bottom '788 SA'

When I went to mount it I discovered that it was about 1/2" short. The mount measures about 2 3/8" from rear single screw to the rear front hole. the same measurement on the rifle is ~3"

It appears to me that I need the 'long' action mount.

This gun was in original condition and had been shot very little. I seriously doubt that anybody put a Remington 788 .223 barrel on a previously 6mm-308 action. The .223 clip fits/functions fine and it has the 'short action' stock as I have a long action 788 stock to compare it too.

It appears that I need the 'long' scope mount for this rifle.

Might Remington had drilled their later production 788 rifles one length? Might I have a 'long action' in a small caliber ('short') caliber?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two lengths. Standard short action (.308 based cartridges), and shorter short action (.222, .223, 22-250, and 30-30). These are for the original chamberings. My Dad's .223 is a rebarrel on a .308 action with .223 bolt head.

The mounts are sometimes designated long or short action 788 even though it was never available in a conventional long action length.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Three lengths; one for the 44 Mag, one for the 30-30 and 222 ilk, and one for 308.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Three lengths; one for the 44 Mag, one for the 30-30 and 222 ilk, and one for 308.

dpcd is correct. While there might have been two lengths of the actual receiver (?), there are indeed three different hole spacings lengths. Apparently I got the one for the .44 mag length as it's shorter.

EGW offers two lengths: 'standard' and 'long'. The 'standard' is what I need (~3" hole spacing.

If you know anybody that needs a like new scope mount for a 788 .44 mag, I have one really cheap!
Wonder if it fits the XP 100 or whatever they called that .221 Fireball pistol?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know about the .44 mag. Learn something every day.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time I owned a 788 in all 3 lengths.
I had a .44 mag, a .30-30 and a .243.

They all required different 1 piece mount bases.