Find
Notify
Tools

Best twist rate for 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Im thinking about making my next builder a Whelen. Im looking at using 200-225 grn bullets mostly. Would a 1-12 or 1-14 be better for those?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Whelen has a 23" Douglas premium with a 1:12 twist. It shoots both 225's and 250's very well. I've never tried the lighter bullets.

Theoretically, the quicker twist should stabilize the heaverier bullets better than a slower twist.

Try a search of this forum - I believe this topic has been discussed.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
My Shilen barreled Whelen is a 1-14. Shoots 200s, 225s, and 250s just fine. A number of big barrel makers seem to have settled on 1-14 as their standard - e.g. Hart, E.R. Shaw, and Shilen. Remington factory barrels are 1-16 I think, and I've not heard of people having trouble stabilizing 250s.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd only go with a 1-12" if I was planning to shoot 275-310 gr bullets. The 1-14" is plenty for up to 250 grs, and is friendlier to cast bullets. Don't discount shooting cast and jacketed pistol bullets for plinker loads, they are lots-o-fun!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also asked around before I had mine built last winter and the majority opinion then, as now and above, was for the 14" twist. As Paul mentions, it works well with 158 or 180 gr. plinker loads. My 'smith, who has built quite a few Whelens over the years, also did not hesitate to recommend this twist.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My Remington has a 1/16, and stabilizes the 250 gr. bullets without fail. Of course, that is at 5,000 feet elevation.

If you plan to shoot 225, there is no reason to go faster than a 1/16. 1/14 would buy some insurance. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
As 9.3x62 says, I also have the 1 in 14" twist in a Shilen barrel, but mine is on a 1903 Springfield action. It shoots sub MOA groups with many bullets between 200 - 250 grains. I have not shot any bullets heavier then the 250 grainers so can not state the stablization of thoose bullets in this barrel.

My opinion, so far with this caliber, is that 225 grain Barnes X or 250 grain Speer will do everything you need.

I've only recovered one Barnes X bullet from my hunting, that was on a 125 yard shot at a bull oryx, the bullet went through and broke both shoulders, and it was found on the off side under the skin with 3 of 4 petals still in tact. I was sold on this combo from that day.

BigBullet

[ 07-05-2003, 18:57: Message edited by: BigBullet ]

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote