New
Find
Notify
Tools

headspacing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a Remington Model 7 .223 cal can I check the headspacing my self if I can how do I do it ?????

Posts: 45 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
RR,

Sure, take the bolt out of the gun, clean the bolt lugs and the receiver lugs, remove the firing pin so the bolt will close without any firing pin related resistance, and carefully insert a "no-go" headspace gauge in the chamber. Try closing the bolt handle using slight pressure. The bolt handle should not fully close. NEVER force a bolt closed on anything, epecially a hardened headspace gauge.

Almost forgot. You can substitute the headspace gauge for a quick check, by sticking (with a drop of grease) a .004 shim to the back of a factory case and checking to see if the bolt will close on that. Unless you know exactly what the case measures, this will merely be a rough way to determine what's happening. Use a gauge if you can.

Good luck,

Malm

[ 10-25-2003, 01:12: Message edited by: G.Malmborg ]

<Savage 99>
posted
The Foster instruction sheet that comes with headspace gages says that a bolt that closes on a no go is serviceable and then some by a few thousanths.

I tend to lean towards Malm on this as such a loose headspace could result in a misfire and headaches with handloads.

A beverage can is about .005" if you need a shim.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
I'm not familiar with the instruction sheets that accompany forrester headspace gauges, however, as a gunsmith, it would not be wise for me to post anything that could be considered unsafe. Therefore, I have to stand by my earlier post.

Good luck,

Malm

P.S. If you use an aluminum beverage can for the shim, make sure it is a "beer" can, but be sure to empty it first. Okay, beer and guns do not go together so let a friend empty the can for you...
[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster states that a rifle that closes on a No-Go gage "MAY be servicable".

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest quick& dirty check is to use "scotch tape". Stick two pieces together and mearure their thickness. Stick a piece on the base of a new case. Add pieces untilyou can just feel it touch. This will give the headspace with that cartridge.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote