Find
Notify
Tools

.400 H&H Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted
Does anyone know whether reloading dies are available for the .400 H&H Magnum, and if so where can we get them? Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Karl Webber
wff Hein
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

CH4D has them. I'll post the link below. The caliber is not showing up on their web site, but I received an e-mail from Dave Davison on April 24, 2004 saying they had just made a dozen sets that day. Give them a call and I'm sure they can help you.

Craig

ch4d

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the specs on the round? I haven't seen any data on it in a while. Weren't they also making a .465 or something along those lines?

What kind of velocity can one expect from the .400?

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What are the specs on the round? I haven't seen any data on it in a while. Weren't they also making a .465 or something along those lines?

I believe 400 gr @ 2400 fps would be maximum. Remember the H&H case with it's tapered body has about the same powder capacity as your typical 2.5" mag, so it will be on par with a 416 Taylor, but uses the much less common .410" dia bullets. The up side is the mildly tapered case feeds very smoothly, and the longer neck of the 400 case is friendly to cast bullet shooting.

A good design in some aspects that will never catch on because it simply arrived too late, and uses an odball bullet dia.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have been following this cartridge and the .465 H&H for what seems like forever, but is only a bit over two years. I would like to add some details.

John Ricks has built a rifle and taken some pressure and velocity data.

See this thread on NitroExpress Forum.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=bigbores&Number=11273&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The .400 H&H and the .416 Rem have very close water capacities, the .400 is way more than a .416 on a short magnum case like the .416 Taylor. Bullet size is .411", which is the same as the old .450/.400 double rifle cartridges that Holland still builds. John used a Krieger barrel and Woodleigh bullets.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher,

Please see this article for the factory specs.

http://www.african-hunter.com/new_h&h_cartridges.htm

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. I looked at all of that about a year ago (maybe more) but had long since forgotted about it.

Regards,
Tom

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Well, I seriously doubt that it will reach 2400 FPS with a 400 grain bullet with pressures suitable for use in hot climates, since the .416 Remington is a similar round with even more bullet base to push on, with definitely more case capacity than the plain old H&H case......

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, sort of a belted 405 Winchester on steroids. Not a bad thing. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello,

In the thread I referenced above John Ricks' data includes:

2402 ft/sec 49,400 psi 5127 ft/lbs.

John also gives measurements for the case capacities of the two cases, and they are very close. The thread is well worth reading.

jim