New
Find
Notify
Tools

urethane foam to fill the butt stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I do not like the stock on my new Remington SS Synthetic 700 BDL .338 Win Mag. The butt stock is hollow and I was thinking about using urethane foam to deaden the sound and absorb vibration. Has any one done this? If so, any pointers would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Roy,

My new Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless has the inside of the buttstock filled with foam. It looks like the insulating foam from the hardware store. I think it would be fine.

(Editted to add) Just remember that the stuff really expands, so use it a little at a time until it's as full as you want it, or else it will end up everywhere. They have several kinds of foam, I'd stay away from the water soluble (WS) stuff for the gunstock. The non-WS stuff is hard to remove so be careful where it goes. BTW, I hear that the WS stuff is also an effective mouse "poison". They eat it and it expands in their stomach, "clogging up the works"....

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill M (edited 04-25-2002).]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
I had some insulating foam in my garage and used it on every synthetic stock I own! Works great! Just remove the recoil pad, filler up, and after it sets up a bit remove any excess. Then reinstall the pad, and... no more hollow sounds! Go for it!

<Jordan>
posted
There is available a two-part liquid expanding foam that works very well. It expands to about 30 times its original volume. You can get it at any large fiberglass supply outlet. You cal also order it online at www.fiberglast.com.
You will also want some small plastic, gradiated pour cups because you must mix the liquid in equal parts and you will want to be accurate in your measurements.

If you are filling the butt stock, simply turn the stock with the fore-end pointing down and pour the stuff into the butt stock. As stated above, it expands to 30 times its original liquid volume. Also, it is best to use the stuff when the temperature is warm and after the stuff sets up (a few minutes), you might even pop it in your wife's oven at 150 degrees for about 30 minutes. The reason is that on a hot day, even though the stuff has supposedly cured, it can and will expand some and if there is no place to go, it can split a fiberglass stock (been there, done that). To avoid this problem (as in when you leave your gun in a parked car in the hot sun for example) you want to make sure the foam is exposed to elevated temperatures for a period of time at the time of cure. That way you insure that you have probably attained maximum expansion regardles of a hot day down the road.

When the stuff has cured, you can just trim off the excess flush with the buttstock and then reglue your recoil pad.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I needed more weight in my mod70 syn stock after a rebarrel so I scraped out that foamy stuff in the butt and packed it with auto body filler..no problems......Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I used the expanding foam like Waldo did. The stuff I used was Great Stuff from Home Depot. Just make sure it is done expanding and cured before putting back on the recoil pad or it will bulge and could possibly damage your stock. A friend of mine tried it but did not wait overnight for the foam to cure. He put it in, then put the pad on after about 10 minutes. The next day his stock was bulged about 1/16" bigger than the recoil pad on both sides, whereas before the sides of the stock and the sides of the recoil pad had been flush. Ooops!

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used the stuff this weekend on my Synthetic ADL. The stuff works like a charm. I don't know what Remington were thinking when they stuck in that little folded sheet of packing foam.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Rem 700 ADL in 7mm08 for my son and I am going to try using the brand name Great Stuff foam sealant in the butt stock. Noticed that the recoil pad has screw holes so I hope the pad comes off easy..

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
Yep, just like everyone has said, use the "Great Stuff" and it works fine.

HINT -

I used masking tape on the outside of the stock to keep any over spill off the stock and was glad I did as when it was done expanding it has expanded over the edge of the stock.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Elkslayer! Good idea!

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote