Find
Notify
Tools

500m-750m rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I need a rifle that can hit a 6-10 inch plate at 500 metre to 750 metre consistently if I do my part.

What would be my best route to go as chaeply as possible. An SSG would be awesome, but not cost effective for this!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a used BR gun ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not just buy a factory Savage FTR class rifle in 6,5x284 and put a decent scope with a mil dot reticle on it? You'd have a thousand yard rifle with the same capability.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
as in 7mm br and 6mm br ???

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you are on a budget I would get a Remington Heavy barreled [Varmint or the Police Model in 308.

The new Remington with the triangular barrel in 308 I shot was very accurate.

Test the rifle with Federal factory 168 and 175 Match ammo.

Then reload with 168 and 175 Sierra Matchkings using IMR 3031, IMR 4895, IMR 4064, Varget, or RL 15.

If money was no object, I would recommend a Blaser R 93 with the Safari Stock and a 308 match barrel or the LRS ll, or LRS Tactical 2, or an Accuracy International, again in 308.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Get a Savage 110 in .30-06, find a load and practice.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
333OKH,

I think Mac meant a bench rest rifle. Take a look at wwww.6BR.com in the long range match section.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is it going to be a match rifle or a hunting rifle? Lived in and hunted Idaho my whole life. What area are you in IdSS?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
It if for eradication/culling. I brought this up many moons ago. I have been working on managing some species of animals, mainly feral pigs. The remaining pigs are way out yonder. I do not always have access to pig dogs and in many cases they leave the ranch causing additional problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
man, sounds like quite a problem you have, want any help? Big Grin

I think that many cartridges are capable, the savage is a good accurate platform that is cheap.

I'll just say this about them though, my uncle has one of the blind magazine ones, it's got the single stack internal magazine. that mag sucks! I wouldn't hunt with it unless I had no choice. if you get the round too far into the back when pushing it down it gets jammed up in there weird.

Let me know if I need to practice out to 600 yards. Wink

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be shootin pigs with a 308, esecially at a distance the Winchester factory 168gr Ballistic Silvertip has been a very accurate round in several different 308,s I have shot it in.

If you are going to reload try the 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip.
They shoot very good ususlly as good as Sierra Matchkings and give much better terminal performance.

A factory Remington 700 Heavy Barrel will do what you need it to do.

And after 5000 rounds or so you can rebarrel it with a custom barrel.

Also since you are shooting pigs, that will appear at different distances, insead of targets on a KD range I would recommend a scoe with a Ballistic Cam instead of Target Turrets.

Much faster to dial in the correct range and you will not turn the knob the wrong way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've got one that will do it. I'd be glad to come up and shoot some for you.

Like Rich says, for an out of the box rifle the Savage FTR in 6.5x284 will do it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Not exactly a "budget" rifle but my SR-25 would be just the ticket for consistent precision shots to 600 yards with fast follow-up shots.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to build you a .338 Edge for about $1750 on a Savage action. It would have a 4" or less group at 750 yds. It will not only kill hogs but anything else you happen to see at that distance. One I built on a Rem. 700 got a 6X6 Elk @ 1330 yds. about three weeks ago, somewhere in Idaho......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a Rem 700 VS, in .308Win.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
First, for the specific purpose you describe, I'd recommend the 6 BR. It has the accuracy and bullet weight to do the job, and almost no recoil, which helps make the shooter perform better.

The 6BR has been used rather regularly in Canada (where "F" Class competition originated) to win F Class national matches at 1,000 yards.

As to a used rifle which should do it easily, I suggest looking at Bob White's site here:

http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/the_list.html

Bob usually has more used BR rifles in stock than maybe all of the other used BR dealers put together. He is also honest. (He's the former President of IBS.) When looking at his list, the rifles become less expensive the farther down the list you go. After the rifles, you will see his used barrels and accessories. Generally speaking, the used barrels may have lost a tiny bit of accuracy from use (enough they can't still be absolutely relied on to win BR matches) but they can still probably shoot groups into 1/2 MOA and often a great deal less.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to the rifle you built a couple years ago? Surely it can reach out far enough to kill pigs?

Otherwise, I vote for a heavy barreled Rem 700 or Savage. A friend bought a Rem 700 Varmiter a few years ago and can cover a quarter at 200 yards. Should be just what you need and not horribly over priced.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote