New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for MRC 1999
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I heard that the MRC1999 action has almost the same footprint as a M70 action. Can a M70 stock be used with a little inletting work? Anybody do this yet? How about a source for synthetic stocks in a classic style? Walnut?

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
There are a few stock makers who make stocks for the 1999, and I would recommend that route. I recently received the short action and a HS Precision aluminum pillar bedded stock, but it required more work that I was comfortable performing with my chisel and dremal tool. It looks great now, courtesy a local gunsmith. It can be done, but consider the project more than just a little work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede, the bottom metal and bolt release are different on the M1999 as compared to the Winchester 70. I have talked to both Brown Precision and McMillan and they both can make stocks for the Montana action. As far as walnut goes, the sky is the limit. Serengeti Stockworks is the best all around choice. They are at this moment making me a Lioness for a 458 Lott. The next step up would be a custom stock maker like Chic Worthing, who is a regular poster here. His work is breath taking and he loves to work with Myrtlewood.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede,

If my memory is right your actions will be LH. What I don't recall is if they are SS or not?

To my taste a SS finish and dark walnut don't look that good together. A light walnut shade is nice however.

When we get together I will show you my laminated "Serengeti" blank. I really like Rod Rogers enthusiasm. We will kick it around.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker,
Let me post a couple of pictures, as it will show the results better than I could describe them. I'll try to get them posted by Saturday night or Sunday Morning.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
The next step up would be a custom stock maker like Chic Worthing, who is a regular poster here. His work is breath taking and he loves to work with Myrtlewood .

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99: Yes i'd like to look at that stock when i come up to shoot. Thanks to all who replied and i will email Mcmillan to see what they have. Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede96, McMillan put up a synthetic featherweight stock for my MRC 1999 ss RH short action that I used in my recent .350 Rem. mag. project. They have already programmed their machines and the inletting for a RH MRC 1999 SA is now available as a standard item. However, my gunsmith told me that he still had to do some inletting work to get the action and barrel to fit properly in my stock. As soon as I am sure that my .350 Rem. mag. project is a shooter, I am going to post some pictures of it. I did shoot it yesterday and things are starting out well. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Accurabond win 70 short action stock with 4 panel checkering, sling swivels, and 1" Uncle Mike's recoil pad. it has been oiled but not finished. It is in excellent cond. I would like to sell it for $250. It is made for a #2 Douglas barrel contour. My barrel does not fit and would require too much stock removal leaving the sides just forawd of the action ring too thin. Any one interested please send a PM with email address for pictures.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote