Find
Notify
Tools

Simple question on Winchester stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Got a 338 win mag Mod 70 barreled action. It’s stainless, sporter profile I guess? Fairly thin barrel.

I need a stock for it. I’m seeing a lot of long action stocks, then occasionally one that says magnum long action.

Is there a difference? Hogue, B&C and McMillan don’t differentiate as far as I can tell.

Really, I just need a cheap stock to see if this gun shoots and is my new 338 or if it’s a donor action for my 300 mag project.

Thx.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
No. The G series model 70s are the same. If your rifle is a bit older, it probably has a 2-piece bottom metal so pay attention to that.

I have the same rifle in an HS Precision and it shoots like a mutha. The guys I got it from had not even bedded it - I did afterwards. Max load of IMR4350 under a Barnes 225gr TTSX. Go forth and hunt...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He is right; there is only one long action length on post 64s.
And even the new stocks fit the old two piece bottom metal rifles; they make a plastic insert, or use a washer under the front screw plate/floorplate hinge. I use a lot of new stocks on old Model 70s. Not pre 64; different length. Shorter.
I probably have a plastic factory stock; I know I have blind mag ones. I'll check and get back with you.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Only a guess, but the magnum stock might be made to accommodate the barrel mounted recoil lug of the Safari Express and a wider barrel channel.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
As far as bottom metal, I have both one and two piece metal. I ordered the set of three action screws for it, and some Pro bed 2000. I want to see if it shoots, or if it was abused and that’s why it was sold to me as a donor action.

This started as a 300 win mag in a McMilan A3 project. I have everything to build it, except the desire at the moment. Shooting it as a 338 for the time being seems cool and I may just keep it and get a different action for the 300. For the cost of a stock and some bedding material I’ll have a 338.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wendell
I have a used Win Mod 70 LA stock with cross bolts, may be off a Super Grade that I'm trying to sell. Here's a link to the post http://forums.accuratereloadin...871063262#7871063262

Sounds like what you are looking for.
Thanks
Phil

Posts: 359 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Is it a 6-digit serial number?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is only one long action length on post 64s.

With all due respect I beg to differ.
I own a post 64 classic Model 70 SA which is the short action, and I also own a post 64 Model 70 classic that has the real short action for the WSSM line of cartridges.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

Yes G111XXX

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:

Yes G111XXX

A bit earlier than mine. I bet it shoots very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is G21XXX and it also shoots very well

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes G111XXX

What year is yours?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, as usual, Gentlemen, please read what I post; I said there is only one LONG post 64 action made. ONE LONG ACTION; I didn't say anything about the two short actions. This thread is about a post 64 Mag action. ONLY. So for me to address a short action would be moot and irrelevant.
I know guys like to split hairs and snipe my posts, but it is not necessary. I am getting too many criticisms of things I write lately.
As for a barrel recoil lug, no caliber under 375 has one, and the new Alaskan does not have one. So don't worry about that.
The stock that Phil has is not a super grade, and it will work for your rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Tom. Always like and appreciate your comments!

Posts: 766 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; just have to relax and take a deep breath. Let it out slowly.
And go to the range.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes G111XXX

What year is yours?

I don't know exactly, its a G136XXX.I'd say late 90s? I have the same rifle in 270 that's a 5-digit and it shoots equally as well. Also have a 7-digit blued model in 06 that also shoots well that one is from 2005. I know that because I bought it new. Three rifles, three eras, all work just fine. the 338 is a friday-night-got-my-money-i'm-going-to-the-bar rifle - the winchester stamp is off, the rails are not finished nice, the bolt face was ugly... but it feeds like a champ and shoots lights out. i aint changing a thing. ;-)

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I bought a Husqvarna 144(?) in 9.3. Made in 1933. I had it reamed out to 9.3x64. Never could scrub all the rust out of the bore. It Shoots 3/4” groups with Barnes TTSX

My 375 I bought in ‘95 in a hardware store in Naples FL will do the same. It sat in a pool of water for a few days too.

Age doesn’t matter. Apparently, neither do looks.