Tools

Re: Stock Geometry pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
GSP7

Is that claro walnut?

Do you want to sell or trade it?

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the entire butt portion of the lower stock looks goofy. When I'm laying out a stock, I use a set of actual size Jerry Fisher plans that I got from Brownells a number of years ago.(I do this because I don't have much of an artists eye.) The Fisher plans show an extension of the toe line intersecting with the rear tang screw about 1/2" above the head.

Also, on your top stock the point of the comb is directly above the center of the pistol grip whereas with the lower stock the point is well ahead. That doesn't help the looks. The Fisher plan shows the point as been directly above the center of the pistol grip.

A little drop at heel wouldn't hurt either.

I've included a photo of a stock I did based on the Fisher plan. Feel free to comment.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser 98.

I see it the same way you do . That toeline should be staight into the trigger guard base. Just like a english grip shot gun with out the pistol grip. This toe line is way to high .

I agree with the comb nose being back even with the middle of the grip cap or even farther back , for my taste.

I was going to modify the nose on this stock but that toe line looks terrible and would look even worse with the nose laid back .

Your stock looks good...

Im going for a longer open grip (like a shotgun) for comfort in carrying and hunting. Al Bison has some nice looking grips in the pictures I have of his. I have pictures of Jay McCaments too, they are nice.

Craftsman .. Yes its Claro , and its ashame , It is a real nice piece of #2 (about AAA) figured wood ,

Im going to send it back for another stock cut. Do you want to buy it?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote