New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting Kimber Triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Kimber than has a trigger that has a lot of creep. Haven't taken it apart yet. Is it an adjustable trigger?

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have had the same problem with my Montana 84M. I am jsut a regular hunter / shooter.

Yes the Kimber trigger is adjustable. It is quite similar to the Remington 700 trigger. If you go to http://www.kimberamerica.com/d...oads/manuals/84m.pdf you can download the manual for the rifle with the complete break down diagram on pages 12 & 13. That shows you the 3 screws you adjust for (a) trigger over travel (b) sear engagement at the back of the trigger and (c) trigger pull weight.

The over travel adjustment is the easiest. The other thing I found was that the creep is gritty and uneven - not the same each time you squeeze the trigger. So I took a very small bit say half inch by qtr inch of wet & dry emery paper and folded it to half inch by one-eight inch so that it has 2 rough surfaces and lodged it on the sear. After confirming the rifle is empty - I then cocked & fired the rifle a few times. Checked that the emery is still wedged in place and kept doing this 20 or 30 times. I am not sure if the dry firing is harmful to the gun (I just did it). This did smoothen out the creep a bit. I should probably go to 60 or 120 grit paper. That creep cost me a sika deer a month ago! (Or was my shooting lousy?!)

I would appreciate the views of experienced gunsmiths on this subject of getting rid of the creep.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kimber triggers are very adjustable. Creep is a function of too much sear engagement, which is the rear screw. They adjust in the same order as a Remington. If you have never adjusted one, any decent gunsmith can do it. It should run in the $40 to $60 range.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote