New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sniper, I do not think that Howa makes an action long enough for the 358 STW. It is only chambered for the standard mags 7rem, 300win, 338win. The stw is based on a 8mm mag case and is 375 h@h length. You may try a charles daly,they make a 375 action.
Lucio

Posts: 57 | Location: san antonio texas | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any comments on the action - other than you can buy a barreled action (as opposed to an entire rifle) from Legacysports. Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious.
Good luck
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Catera is even worse than a Chevrolet ... they're Opel's.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I bought one for my son at Wal Mart for the low price of 250 bucks. He's 16 and it's his first rifle, I kinda don't want him attached to my pre-64s . It shoots sub MOA groups and it's a nice begginer rifle. I would definetly not build a custom rifle around it. Kinda like buying those little Cadillac Cateras. It's basically a chevy with leatehr seats, fancy steering wheel and the cady logo on the hood. Kinda like fat girls, lots of fun....until your friends see you with one. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
The Vanguard/Howa comes in 300 Weatherby, which is just as long as the 8mm Rem Mag, which the STW's are based off of.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
The 300 WBY action is the one I was contemplating using. This will be a "utility" gun, not a show piece but a get down in the mud, through the snow in the rain gun.

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote