New
Find
Notify
Tools

will this work?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
say a guy wanted to build a rifle in 6.5-06. could he (read..."I") order one of those barrels from lothar walther that's pre-made for a 98 mauser, in 6.5x57 and rechamber to 6.5-06? thanks for any information....bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that could be done but you'd be way ahead to start with an unchambered blank especially if you're doing this yourself. depending on the body tapers of the 2 respective cases you could have a tremendous problem with the '06 reamer not having enough contact to stay aligned properly. i recently ran afoul of that same type scenario and it didn't work out at all. any respectable barrel maker should be willing to furnish a turned/threaded/ but unchambered barrel.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
You might also see if Lothar Walther could chamber that one for you. It's common enough; who knows, maybe they'll have a reamer for it?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lothat Walther long chambered a 6.5-06 for me. I have yet to install it so I can't tell you how it shoots, but, they do have the reamer. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. i'll just have LW chamber it for me

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you go with a long chamber as opposed to the popular short chamber, it makes the job a lot easier, at least for me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks ray. i agree with the long chamber deal. about a year ago i had a 6.5x57 built on a 98/22 action and the deep chamber LW barrel worked great.