THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on Winchester Model 100 .INPUT Please.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted
We have 2 of these in 308 both Pre 64.,and Both have had the Firing Pin Fixed.They both Shoot very well,however they both have ONE Nagging promblem.They both have a Extracting and Ejection promblem.One has had a new Extractor put in.
Even with Factory Loads they may Function A-ok as they should for a few rounds then start failing to extact the case,or extract then fail to eject it.May do so at any time during the Fireing order.Cleaned or after a few Rounds,may do so for 2-5 rounds then work fine for a few then start again.

A friend of a freind said the promblem was the Gas System Parts.Said to Replace them with a NEW Parts of Stainless Steel.

What are your alls thoughts on this?
Does anybody Know where you can get the Gas System Parts for this rifle.?

Thanks.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is hard to really diagnose some problems long distance.
(1) Does it have a Weaver scope mount on it? If so, the take down knobs have to be on the LEFT side of the gun, or the case mouths will hit the front knob.
(2) The chamber could be rough
(3) Yes, the gas piston could have been rusted & wire brushed down & therefore become smaller or pitted allowing excess gas to bypass. Brownells sells new stainless replacement pistons.
(4) since there are no factory parts anymore the extractor you replaced more than likely was a aftermarket one, & possibly not to specs.
(5) Ammo has to be powerfull enough to cycle the action, & if #3 problem exists, that could contribute.
(6) check & clean the gas orifice hole.

Does it hang more with a full magazine than a empty one?? Inspect the case for grit in chamber, then also look at extractor marks on the rims. Some brands of ammo may have slightly different rim dimensions, sometimes just enough for a picky gun to not digest.

I will bet it is #1

If all else fails, tighten the bottom buttplate screrw.

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can simpathize with you on this one; this is the reason they were called "jammamatics". I have a few of the original extractors on hand. I believe the problem lies in the one particular extractor versus another. The serial number range tells the story. Some the rifles in the mid range were assembled with extractors of the other number range. Don't ask me what this range was, however, all my extractors are packaged according to serial number. Maybe I can help.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a universal solution to Model 100 problems: Springfield M1A. [Wink]

I have a model 100, but I don't date to use it much. I would suggest sending yours back to Winchester. If they still give you headaches, then it's time for an M1A.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Gunacologist- Thanks for everything esp. the Brownwells " Gas Piston" will have to see about getting one,I know the one in mine is Ruffed up somewhat.The scopes mounts on both where and are Redfields.As far as the Things we have tried EVERTYHING ecxept the Gas Piston,Polishing the Chamber and Opening the Gas Port have yet to be tried.

Jim Kobe-Thanks for the offer,I'll keep it mind.We hadn't considered the Extractor on my Uncles as he replaced it with one from New-Line Gun Parts(I hope I got that right).

500Grains- Your Right I belive about the M1A being very good,but I been told that the "Workings of the Win Model 100 are very close to design with each other" I guess I was told wrong.

Nothing Stinks worse than havening a promblem you can't seem to fix,But we will keep trying.

[ 06-07-2003, 10:08: Message edited by: Tiny ]

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were three separate serial number ranges with three separate extractors from what I have learned.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Model 100 has been 100% reliable never has jammed, and I've shot over 1000 rds through it, never cleaned the gas system. Reloads, factory, military 7.62mm doesn't matter, it shoot's everything.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote