New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool info needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a tool to clean/square the inner torque shoulder on a mauser action. I figure the proper way to do this would be to put the action in a "cat head" and do it on a lathe, however, I think making a cat head, and the associated line up stuff would be beyond my very modest machinist ability. Is there another alternative?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Look in the Brownells catalog. I swear they have a tool to do just the job you are describing.
IF you don't have a Brownells catalog, then it is worth the money to get one.
LouisB

Free internet info is worth all that you pay for it! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pedestal--

First I'd find out why the inner ring is not square. If you're measuring from the front ring I'd bet it's the face of the action that's crooked and not the inner ring.

In thirty five years of indicating from the axis of the bolt I've never seen an inner ring that was wrong. I *have* seen rough from a dull tool.

You can lap the inner ring smooth with the tool shown in this album in the first picture of page two.

It's VERY rare to find an old, quality M-98 that's crooked in any dimension except for the face of the action.....which wasn't used by the factory as a bearing surface.

[ 05-24-2003, 17:48: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
TCLouis:
Apparently, Brownells doesn't have it for Mausers..
JBelk:
The action I'm working with is not a quality action. It's basically a piece of late war junk. Good for practice, however. [Smile] The album/pics did not come up, said I needed to log in. If you can fix, I would like to get a look at that tool..

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I *think* I fixed the link but if not try this http://community.webshots.com/album/40655055ErMcgg

The tool is the first picture of page two.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jack, in 31 years I have not seen a out of true inner ring. However lots of front rings not true by a couple of thousands. You need to remember the the Germans used the inner ring to torque against and not the front.

BTW I have a Kar 98 reciever that a tank apparently walked over. It looks good, It measures within .001 of being true. However when you screw a barrel on it, the muzzle is about 1/2" to the left of center. I just tossed it in a drawer and figured one day I could cut it in half and save the rear section.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hey Jim--

I have on armload of 1924 Venuzeulan FN front halves. Let me know if you want a couple to weld to that old back half.