New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Lever 357 to 357 Max
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the Marlin Lever 357mag be opened up to 357 Max and the Max feed without any other work ?

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
no
BTW the .357 max operates at CF rifle pressures and is way over pressured for the Marlin.

So even if you figure out how, Don't.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Rusty, I found the same info on other sights. Guess if I want a 357 Maximum in a rifle its going to be the NEF. Then again, the 357 mag Marlin has a good feel to it. Decisions Decisions, Decisions.....what to buy next..The marlin comes in a pound lighter than the NEF, load 9 rds in the tube and your there. I already have a 35 whelen and 38 S&W so the 357 mag is a good fit for me as a reloader....

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 357 mag now 35,000 psi,
The 357 max is 40,000 psi.
Not a big deal for a handloader.

The 357 mag is 1.59" over all length.
The 357 max is 1.99" over all length.
This is a big deal for a lever action.

In the NEF the length not an issue.
In the NEF feeding is not an issue, so sloppy SAAMI chambers are not needed or desired.
If I were to ream out the NEF to 357 max for a handloader, I would not use a standard reamer. I would save money and accuracy and use an industrial reamer, a .380" straight fluted reamer [or what ever .001" size the brass comes out of your sizer] and a throater.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote