New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long should it take ?
 Login/Join

<Death Ray>
posted
I sent a rifle to a gunsmith 8 months ago to get it rebarreled, he said it would take about 8 weeks, I've called him 4 times each time he has an excuse for not haveing it done. The last time I talked to him he said he had it done and just needed to test fire it, that was 1 month ago. I have been very patient but would sure like to get it back soon. Could someone in the gunsmithing business please let me know if I should start pushing him or should I keep waiting , I don't want to P--s him off, just want my gun back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Trapper

<DLS>
posted
I am curious too.

My brother waited over a year to get a Mauser rebarreled, and I waited around a year for my rebarrel. Both of us are not satisfied with this guys work. I had to send my rifle back and my brother did too. Now we have them back, and my brother may send his back to this guy again so this guy can get it right. Don't want to wait another year though.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My turn-around time AFTER I have the barrel is between 6 to 8 weeks tops.
 -

[ 12-22-2002, 07:37: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Timley thread. Ive been waiting for two months and my Smith says he is still just waiting on 3 bbls from ER Shaw. He told me that if you want a Shilen bbl that the wait could be very long as their steel supplier went out of business. Anyone else heard that one?

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Trapper,

8 months is a little long. I would ratchet it up a touch. If the work is completed and all he is waiting for is to test fire it, be generous, tell him he has 1 week to return it, or it will start to cost him...

Wstrnhuntr,

I just received a batch of barrels from Shilen. I didn't have to wait too long. I have a couple of special orders coming from them that should take about 4 - 6 weeks. Just curious, who's your smith?

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's way too long. A year is ludicrous. Changing a barrel takes an hour maybe two at most. I'd give the guy a week to send it back even if it isn't finished.
Hi, G.Malmborg, not every smithy has a good business relationship with his suppliers, as I'm sure you know. Could be the guy doesn't pay his bills so he has to pay up front. Sounds like he works out of his basement and doesn't smith full time to me.

[ 12-22-2002, 09:49: Message edited by: sunray ]

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think I've used the same Smith [Eek!] I generally don't even ask for a time frame. But after three months or so I'll ask for one. If it's going to take longer than that he should tell you before accepting the work. Once you find a good one stick with him. I send most of my rebarrels directly to krieger and have been nothing but pleased .

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Death Ray:
I sent a rifle to a gunsmith 8 months ago to get it rebarreled, he said it would take about 8 weeks, ...

Hey Trapper, Welcome to the Board.

The correct answer is it should have taken as long as he originally said it would - about 8 weeks. If he had said 3 days, then it should have taken 3 days.

Who is this alleged gunsmith?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I waited for a bedding job and a recrown for 9 months. When I started to bug the gunsmith, it took another 2 months to get the gun back, without the bedding job. On the other end of the spectrum, I just got a rebarrel back from Pac-Nor in 4 weeks. They'll get more business from me.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I think that's definitely too long. I had an M1 barrel installed by Orion 7 and I had the rifle back in a week.
Top gunsmiths are usually pretty backed up though. There is a custom gunsmith near me that has a five year backlog on custom rifles.

It also matters what kind of action it is your rebarreling. Almost anybody can rebarrel a Mauser with very little problems. The hard part is finishing the chamber(If you buy a short chambered pre threaded barrel) The whole process is only a couple hours work, tops.
Now before everybody starts flaming me, I'm talking about screwing off the old barrel, screwing on the new barrel and finishing the Chamber. Lapping the lugs, true-ing the action or cutting the threads and tapering a barrel blank is something else altogether different, but either way, if he said 8 weeks, and he's now at 8 months you have waited way too long. Sue the prick. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
Tell someone that hangs on to a gun that much over what he tells that you will report the gun stolen if he doesn't return it. Then send it to someone else. Find a diffeerent gunsmith!

chuck

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ktg:
I waited for a bedding job and a recrown for 9 months. When I started to bug the gunsmith, it took another 2 months to get the gun back, without the bedding job. .

Thats pathetic. Sounds too me like a case of put the smaller stuff on the back burner indefinatley, no way to run a business IMHO..

Malm,

This is my first time using this guy, its Skips Custom gun and repair in West Valley. I met him at the gunshow last year. Ive talked to him a couple times since the bbls were ordered and I can appreciate that theres not much he can do without the bbl. As long as its a reasonable time frame I will be more interested in the quality of his work. I dont know whats up with his Shilen story though, maybe he got them confused with Shaw. [Embarrassed] I hope not.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I can fully understand where you are coming from..I am so glad I moved to and found another 'smith. Very happy now I have a relationship with a professional in every respect.
But if you want a horror story I have one for ya.
In '92 I lived on the North Oregon Coast,there was/is a 'smith located in the basement of a sporting goods store in Astoria...I had a friend that sold me a '98 Mauser basket case for 50 bucks,,,I dropped it off in Astoria telling the "smith" I wanted a 308 barrel,bolt bent,buehler safety and D&T'd. Pretty basic stuff there..well after a month he called and told me my rifle was ready...eagerly went over and picked it up,bedded the action in a Ramline Syntech stock,scoped it and By Golly it was swell ! I was impressed..went back with a Tanfoglio TA90 that decided to be a prick and destroyed its own extractor..waited 2 months and finally called,,he tells me he hasn't been able to find the part,,if I wanted the gun back he could make me one,,,,Well sheesh..why didn't he just do that after a month? 2 weeks later finally picked up the pistol,looked like crap basically. Had no further faith in the pistol and sent it down the road....here's where I gave him his final chance to fortune,,,I aquired a semi-decent No1mk3 SMLE 303..good wood,metal furniture was in nice shape but the bore was,well a sewer pipe. I looked over my options and my eyes fell upon a 303 sitting on my bench,,,next to it was a 45-70...Hmmmm thought I.could it be done? I approached this guy and he said "well I have been wanting to do that myself" ok great!
I dropped it off and waited,and waited,called and waited....this lasted THREE YEARS ! in the meantime I had moved to central oregon so everytime I called it was long distance ! Excuses....excuses..My oh My he came up with some doozies...the barrel,,I screwed up the first on he says,gotta get a second,,the magazine wont work he says,,,waiting on Gibbs Rifle to release theirs,,,still redoing the barrel,,Finally I said Hey just send me the damn rifle,I don't care anymore whether you think you can do the job or not but as I have spent a fortune on the phone you just send me what you have. I have a better chance of getting a smith over here to try it for awhile. THREE YEARS FOLKS !!! We haggled over the price and settled on 150,due my expenses and his...got the rifle,,,well it does look dandy,full military trim,,looks just like any one of my other SMLE's til you look at the muzzle.
And its a 2 shooter at best,never have been able to correctly modify a mag to do any better,,And Gibbs ? Still waiting there too,,,,,,ten years and counting there.... so when you reflect on a lil 6-8 month wait,,,realize it could be much worse.........45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the problem with slow gunsmithing and I think I know where the problem comes from. I've watched it in action and you can too. Just visit your local gunsmith and watch for a bit.

What does he do all day? Talks bullshit with everyone who walks in the door. All of us have some questions. All of us have a tale to tell or a joke to laugh at.

Pretty soon, most gunsmiths aren't gunsmiths. They are closer to bartenders, marriage counselors and priests. They don't have time to actually work on guns.

And it's as much OUR FAULT as it is theirs. Probably the best gunsmith situation is where customers walk in and talk to a "front guy" about their problem or whatever...and they never actually lay eyes on the real gunsmith because he is in the back doing what he is supposed to do, i.e. work on guns. JMHO

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote