Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting a B&C to a Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
Someone asked a week or so ago about drop-in stocks for a Mauser action, specifically about composite stocks. Can't find the thread now so thought I would give my experience.

I'm restocking a Dumoulin in .300 Win Mag since the original stock had such plain wood. While saving for a good wood stock I decided to try a B&C with the aluminum bedding block. It's not a drop-in, not on my Mauser anyway.

The mag box took the most work, did not fit front or rear(length), a little work was needed at the top of the action, barrel contour was too tight about 1/3 of the way up from the action, and of course cut an area for the side safety trigger. Thats ok and to be expected, but the inletting is also too wide in some areas around the top of the action so the fit doesn't look as good as it could.

Overall, ok for a $200 stock. The work I had to do took about 2 hours because I have no eye/hand coordination and I'm slow. Someone that had done it before would probably knock it out in 20-30 minutes.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
It was me asking about the B&C's.

Do you plan to glass bed this stock to fill in the inletting around the action and would you purchase another knowing what you know now?

Thank you,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I would buy another one, I really do like the aluminum bedding system. With Mausers there does seem to be a lot of variation so I'm not sure it's possible to inlet a stock that fits them all. And I will wind up bedding it to fill all around the action. It honestly does not look all that bad, but I see it and that's what counts.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend and put them up.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If it is the black stock. A little die in the glass will make the gap go away. Smiler

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
I like the B&C stocks they seem to fit me better than some. I alawys fully bed them.

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote