New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Barrel Finish....Help!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless rifle. I had some spots on the barrel and tried to polish them out. What I got was a brush stainless finish with several shiny spots. I want to go back to the finish I had or close anyway. Is there something I can do at home to re-create this finish???

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried this so take it with a grain of salt. Some folks have mentioned that you can take a piece of sandpaper in the proper grit, I'd guess 220 grit or so, and place it over the shiney area then tap it lightly with a small hammer or other hard object. Supposedly it duplicates the bead blasted finish reasonably well.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Was the original finish brushed, or bead blasted??
If it was brushed, then you can use Scotchbrite bads with a hard back up of either wood or rubber and refinish the whole gun this way.

If the original finish was bead blasted, you'll have to have it bead blasted again in order for you to aquire a decent finish that you'll be happy with.

If you'd like, we could reblast your receiver and barrel for $30.00 less the shipping costs. We've probably done more beadblasting on barrels, receivers, and bottom metal, than all other gunbuilders put together.

Here's a link to our site with our shipping address and phone number.

Williams Firearms Company

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the thing apart and take it down to your local Autoparts store. They usually have a bead blaster cabinet that will get you the desired finish. You will have to do the whole thing to get an even fish and it will probably be dirty when you get done, clean it with some type of solvent and you're done.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote