THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope with rails, they have trouble making them?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wonder why I don't see scopes with integral mounting rails more often. Afterall, taking a carefully mounted scope off, with a lot of fumbling with tiny screws, then carefully set it up again on another rifle...with a lot of fumbling with tiny screws again, plus adjustments to make the reticle square, eye relief right...is a pain.

My weaver scope ring always make my scope go "past twelve" after I tightened it...

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The U.S. market doesn't care for them, and apparently, neither does the Canadian market.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
The U.S. market doesn't care for them, and apparently, neither does the Canadian market.

George

... but we all love them here in Europe. If I had the cash to put European scopes on all my rifles, they would probably all be rail mounted.
-mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will have to go with the Europeans on this one. After using a couple of rail mount scopes, and some NATO STANAG types I think their method is way superior.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have them in Europe? Got any pictures?

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a weaver scope with rails can anyone tell me where to get mounts to mount it on my rifle.
thanks
festus

Posts: 85 | Location: West Fargo, ND, 58078 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek, whenever I'm offered the option I'll take the rail scope and most of my scopes are of that type. Here are some pics to show you how they look like :
 -  -
 -
 -

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In particular the Zeiss setup is neat. Probably not for the hardest kicking rifle, but the advantage of the Zeiss rail, is that you can remount your scope on another gun with no visible marks from previous mountings.
The Zeiss rail is hollow on the inside and is mounted with a couple of nuts sliding into the rail and fixed to the mount with screws. Amazingly simple once you see it. I have tried it up till .375 H&H with no problems, don't know how it would perform on harder kickers than that?
Sorry, could not immediately locate any pictures.
Needless to say, if you finally managed to locate a European scope with rails in the US, you'd also struggle a bit to locate the mounts. EAW can usually help, though - at a price, naturally [Roll Eyes]
- mike

[ 05-07-2003, 11:46: Message edited by: mho ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do like the look of the new Zeiss rail but I think it is only available on the V series. The old style requires drilling and tapping.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
I do like the look of the new Zeiss rail but I think it is only available on the V series. The old style requires drilling and tapping.

Nope, I don't think so. Even the models before the VM series, I believe the designation is currently ZM/Z - has the current mount rail system. They are sold with that rail system in Europe, at least (e.g. Kettner has them in their catalog). I doubt it will be easy to find them with rail in the States, or if yes, then probably at prices closer to list prices... The UK should be possible - maybe - otherwise buy on the continent...

None of the US-style (e.g. Conquest or earlier 3-9x32) Zeiss scopes come with a mounting rail.
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info,
I never knew something like this was ever made. It should be a lot easier to level a scope with a system like this...

Thanks for the info...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics, Andr� Mertens.

What's the price range for the scopes? It's a good thing that one's wallet has no nerves-- it feels no pain.

Pyrotek