Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher Schoenauer stock removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted
Okay guys, I need help. I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1952 that needs restoration. It went through a flood then got smoke damage. I have the barrel band screw out, the front action and the rear action screw out and the magazine out. There is still something holding the stock on. Any ideas what? I can't find anything. Help! ...........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Here's what I have! bewildered

Dissassembly of a full stock Mannlicher-Schoenauer
Remove the bolt by pressing the bolt stop on the left side of the receiver and pulling the bolt all the way clear.

Remove the magazine by pushing a wooden pencil against the hole in the aft end of the floor plate and rotating the floor plate 90 degrees

When you have the floor plate rotated, pull out on the magazine assembly and remove the magazine.

With a narrow screw driver, unscrew the screws that hold the trigger guard in place. Be sure to use screw drivers that match the slots in the screws!!!!

Rotate the trigger guard 90 degrees when removing the aft screw, then lift the trigger guard free. Under the trigger guard you gain access to the second action screw, the one at the rear end of the action, remove it, then go to the large action screw in front of the magazine.

The large action screw is removed as per any Mauser style receiver

Remove the forward sling swivel bail by unscrewing the bail from the stock

(A) Will have to remove the nose cap from the stock also. A very small screw and a very small piece. Be Very Careful here!!

Now, just tap the muzzle and all should fall out.

You have taken down your Mannlicher. Reassemble in reverse order.

Note, step (A) only applies to full stock examples. It is not necessary with a half stock rifle or carbine as neither has a nose cap.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have done all the above and the stock still will not come off the barreled action.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
The wood has swelled a bit over the last 60 years.

Assuming you have also removed the screw for the front sling swivel:

Turn the rifle so the bottom side is facing up. Insert a wood or plastic dowel in the action screw holes and gently tap with a mallet.
Do each a little at a time until the barrel action falls free of the stock.

I normally do this on my lap, so I don't damage anything.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC (been a long time, grin), you also hafta remove the trigger plate which is notched into the rear of the receiver/magazine's rear face. On DST rifles this is the piece that carries the DSTs. After removing the rear action screw, rotate the rear of the plate downwards until you can remove it from the stock. HTH.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you folks I had enough guts to go after it a little more agressively. I had to heat the action a little with my heat gun and then start driving it out. I found the problem. Someone had bedded the stock without the benefit of mold release. It seems they striped the front action screw so they just glued the stock in. I'll retap the forward screw hole and make a new screw for it and it should be good to go.

Thanks to all for your help.........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC