New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Action For 6.5x54 MS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings to all! I would like to know from the pro's what MODERN action would be suitable to build a custom 6.5x54 MS? I believe the dimensions of this cartridge are smaller than standard Mauser and that it might be a problem. I am only interested in this particular 6.5 and would appreciate any feedback. Many thanks

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA Savage action with a Sharp Shooter supplied Bolt face. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A modern Mannlicher Schonauer action.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the replies.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I just saw this old post. How did you rifle in 6.5x54 turn out? Any photos or a rsnge report?

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are still some old Greek MS military actions around. Since you want the rifle in the original caliber, these old actions would be ideal with a new barrel chambered for the 6.5 x 54. Current bore sizes of .264 would provide better accuracy with production bullets than the original. Trigger work would be much desired, but the action is one of the best. Sights and or scope mounting is always a challenge due to the split bridge.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I guess lal found out ages ago that the cartridge head is only about .448" compared with the Mauser's .470. That would make it quite hard to adapt to any other bolt and magazine.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually, easy; take a .223 bolt and open it up and mod the extractor, on most any modern action. Or solder a bushing into a .308 size face and do the same thing. but install an M16 extractor on a Rem 700.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I think there is a Remington 700 6.5x54 for sale on gunbroker.com at this time. It has a heavy SS barrel and is $1995.00.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The second rifle I ever built was in Gunsmith school in 1952. It was 6.5x54MS. I built it on a new FN model 98 action. I made absolutely no modifications to the action and it functioned flawlessly. Barrel was a Douglas cause that's what the bookstore sold at the time. Stock was a Maple/Walnut laminate that TSJC had invented and they were selling blanks in the bookstore. It made up into a very nice rifle.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a 6.5X54 MS reamer that I can borrow / hire?

My old Greek conversion has a stuffed barrel and I would like to put a new barrel on it.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have a Greek MS barreled action stuck in a corner of one of my bunkers. I'll look for it if you are interested.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Frank Martinez has a barreled 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer action for sale.......it is a rifle length barrel, but could easily be shortened to just about any length a guy would want.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I live in New Zealand and it is not realistic to import a barreled action. I just need a reamer.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote