THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7x57 price check.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7x57 price check.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at a Rem 700 "Mountain" rifle in 7x57. Couple of questions: what is a reasonable price for a gun in good condition and and are they good rifles for hunting.

Thanks,

JDG

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will let someone else answer the first question, but the second is,IMO, a resounding yes. Great deer and black bear caliber.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember Remington offering their "Mountain Rifle" in 7x57, however they did offer the "Classic" in 7x57 in 1981.

To the right person they go for $800+ and yes, the 7x57, aka, 7mm Mauser is a grand ole cartridge that has withstood the test of time and is a very good round for light to medium size game.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 965 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned an early Remington Mountain rifle in 7x57, back when they had hinged floorplates. Very nice rifles, and the 7x57 is a classic for Deer hunting, for sure.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a G&H in 7x57 and I think the caliber about perfect for eastern whitetails. Love my G&H but it is a fair weather gun so I am looking for a 7x57 that is a little more practical especially in foul weather.

J

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well what's the price and we well tell you if its a good deal

Posts: 19580 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Asking $850.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Asking $850.

It is one of the rarer calibers in the wood stocked mountain rifles.The price seems a little high to me,but prices are different in different areas.I had one and it was a good shooter. 7MM08 factory loads will exceed factory loads in 7 Mauser .I guess it depends if you want a classic old round or a classic new round.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
850 seems really rich to me for just the rifle. I'd use a new 700 mtn ss price as a baseline on new and work down from there. A quick check will show you what used walnut blued mtn rifles in other calibers are bringing, as a starting line. You'll possibly pay a premium for 7x57, how much and whether it's worth it is up to you!

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to classic rifles in classic calibers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Asking $850.

Offer them $700 and see what they say.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at what's being ask on several of the auction sites -- $1000 & up.

And over 10 years the difference between $850 and $750 is $10 a year - that's less than the price of 3 or 4 boxes of ammunition.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifles in this model in this caliber are listed on a lot of sights and at gunshows at a upwards of $1200 in as new condition from time to time.
I would think $850 a rightous price, but you can always make an offer for less..The seller has the option to sell or refuse.

I would suggest to all not to do a price check on the classified section, do it elsewhere then sell the gun at your price here. It would be inapropiate to discuss value on the classified as its nobodys business to argue value here, either buy the rifle or don't..that will work best for everyone.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have two Mt. Rifles. 30-06 and a 7mm 08. I like them. The '06 shoots quite well with Federal Premium factory ammo (1" consistently). The 7mm 08 will also shoot an 1"-1.25" pretty consistently with factory ammo.

I didn't realize they were selling for that much.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that there are people out there who will pay $850 for a 7x57, but it will not be your average Joe Schmo. The 7x57 caliber is a connoisseurs caliber. The average Joe thinks that a 7mm Rem mag is the ideal caliber for deer and bear. So, make the offer! If he is in a hurry to sell you may get lucky. If not, I have a CZ 550 Full Stock I can sell you (in 7x57 of course)!!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Epilogue: decided to pass on the gun and have a friend build a 7x57 for me off a Mex action. I have a 700 KS Mountain Rifle in 30-06 and it's a great all a round rifle, lightweight and very accurate.

Thanks for the advice and direction.

Cheers,

JDG

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice choice in both action and caliber. Which model Mex will you use?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which model action he is going to use. I want a light, fast handling rifle. We are using a 20" Shilen barrel and a military trigger. Scope will be a Leupold VXII 1-4x.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 700 Rem at that price is a bit of a joke even if it is a nice rifle. You can troll around and find a nice semi custom or low end custom for that or not much more and have a nicer basic rifle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much the conclusion that I came to.

posted Hide Post
Just so the barrel isn't too short and makes the velocity marginal, great caliber. (I once shortened a barrel and restocked it Mannlicher style...) Steve

Posts: 10 | Location: dallas, tx. | Registered: 15 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How short is too short? Want a fast handling light weight rifle for eastern whitetails (and possibly a trip west for elk in timber).

Thanks