Find
Notify
Tools

Stock filling in question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I just installed my first timney trigger into an old Ruger M77 in 7mm08. This was my first time to inlet a stock, and boy are my eyes wide open. I've had hell getting the safety to work properly, and kept removing more wood, figuring that the stock was prohibiting the safety plate from moving into place and blocking the sear. Turns out after a bunch of time, bolting the stock to the action then removing it again at least 25 times, and a fair bit of head scratching, that the "proper" amount of sear engagement set by the factory, which the instructions basically told me to leave the hell alone, was in fact improper.

I have finally got all of the safety and slam fire issues sorted out, but now I'm fearing I've removed too much wood.
I was planning on bedding the gun later anyway, but what can I do about filling in the places other than the action screws, or do I even need to worry about it?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was planning on bedding the gun later anyway, but what can I do about filling in the places other than the action screws, or do I even need to worry about it?

If the area you are talking about is internal and you at least have enough wood in the rear for bedding the rear of the action I wouldn't worry about it. The 7-08 is not a heavy recoil round and the front lug handles it anyway. If it bothers you then you can glass it. If the missing wood shows that is a different issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
All the wood I removed is internal, and I didn't remove any wood at any of the bolt bedding areas. I figure I'm probably safe, just curious what the rest of you thought, and if filling it in was quick and easy, I'd probably do it just to be completely sure. If filling it in is a PITA, then I can leave well enough alone.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
daniel77: Sometimes, you just gotta to have the "eggs" to throw the stock in the trash and start all over.

Done that !

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If filling it in is a PITA, then I can leave well enough alone

Depends on what you consider a PITA. Big Grin Take a decent gel type epoxy and fill in the areas of concern. Overfill then remove back to just enough clearance. If you are going to bed it later anyway just do it all at the same time. Maybe in one or two steps but as the same project. Like I said earlier it shouldn't hurt anything to leave it alone.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
daniel77: Sometimes, you just gotta to have the "eggs" to throw the stock in the trash and start all over.

Done that !

I don't think, and sure hope, I removed THAT much wood. jumping

Ramrod340,
thanks for your input, and I'm sure I will wind up bedding the whole thing.