New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC Lefthand stock, it arrived!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read this board for along time, but never posted here, so hello to the rest of you hunters/shooters out there on the planet.

Shortly after ordering the MRC LH action last fall, I placed an order with Richardson's Microfit for a stock. The stock arrived last week [Big Grin]

I ordered the Modern Classic in Imperial laminate and rose wood caps. When they say 95% finished they mean 95% of the wood is removed, leaving the last 5% to do with sandpaper, dremel, etc...ie that last 5% is all the work! [Eek!] But I expected that....all in all, the stock looks pretty good for semi-inletted.

One question for you shooters of kicking rifles, I am having the MRC barreled action done in 330 Dakota, and should I put a cross bolt in the stock to prevent possible cracking? Or will it be tough enough as is? [Confused] TIA, Tyler.

Posts: 40 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they'll have the left handed SHORT action stocks soon too. Good luck with your project there.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've talked to several stockmakers about my MRC 330 Dakota project and the concensus is that a crossbolt isn't necessaty (I still would like to buy the jig and do one for learning/cosmetic reasons). Especially with you're tough laminate stock, steel bed should be all you'll need.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you saying it took you NINE MONTHS to get the stock??!! I ordered mine by mail July 14; I was hoping for an October delivery. I guess I'm looking at April 2004 if yours is anything by which to judge their speed of delivery. Yeesh!!

[ 07-25-2003, 08:29: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you will have to wait. What they do, as they told me, is that they save up orders and run the LH stocks in batches as they have to set the machine in reverse. I don't think it was 9 months,maye more like 12 week wait, I think. And they hit their delivery date rithg on the money! How rare [Eek!] Not certain when I ordered the stock, can't find the receipt right now. You may have gotten your order in just in time for this last run...wouldn't that be nice? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 40 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oregon,
Yes, it would but to email and ask them if I timed the market just right would be an exercise in futility. I am just hoping they do hit the 8-12 week projection because I am getting the hell off the east coast around the beginning to middle of September and I don't want to be chasing the thing all over the country by mail and email around the projected delivery date.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I sent them a blank for a RH stock about the first of June, still waiting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am having McMillan make up a featherweight blank and hold it at their plant until my Montana/PACNOR barreled action arrives for custom fitting. I hope to cut out 6- 9 weeks out of the waiting ritual with this move. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CP,
Probably a bold and shrewd plan on your part. My problem was that I screwed around, fretted about the cost, was wracked with indecision and was just generally wasting time until I took the bull by the horns and pulled the trigger on the barrel (Krieger) and the stock (Richard's). I had no problem plunking down my dinars for the action (MRC; long, lefty, standard) because the original plan was to build this thing over a year and play out the costs over a long period of time. But once I got into it and started ordering other things associated with building a rifle, I got scared that it was costing too much. But then after a month or so of worrying about it, I said "what the hell" and let my credit card roar. I am sending money to my CC every month in amounts that will have the rifle paid off just about the time all the parts arrive in mid-October, so it won't hit me like a train.