New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rossi .44 Single shot rifle- Misfiring.
 Login/Join

Picture of Chris O'connor.
posted
A friend brought me a Rossi RBL single shot .44 rifle (1997 date). He was having misfires with CCI Magnum primers and failing to ignight some ordinary primers. We thought it might be a tired spring. I contacted Highland Outdoors, the UK importers, who informed me that they had these in stock. However they refused to supply me as I did not have an account with them. So I applied for an account, I was made to supply references and a copy of my RFD certificate. Two months passed-nothing. I telephoned them and was informed that there would not be enough trade to make it worth while opening an account. They did however aggree to sell me a spring and sent me a MAGAZINE SPRING FOR A SINGLE SHOT RIFLE!!!. I was then told that no springs were available as it was such an old model. What twats. Any way I made a selection of springs, trying all heat treating at all temperatures and could not get any stong enough to fire the Mag. primers. The original wire was .064", I even tried .072". The best I could get was a .064" cold formed spring which fired the ordinary large rifle primers.
Have any of you had similar problems with Rossi or could you advise me of a solution?
Sorry this has been so long winded, I had to get it off my chest!

Chris Ocon.

Posts: 13 | Location: North Wales (UK). | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't know which Rossi that is but it sounds like a coil spring, check Wolfe springs; they make springs for everything and you might be able to make one of theirs work.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
wouldnt it just be easier to use a differant brand of primer ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the coil spring isn't fully compressed when
cocked you can pick up a bit of force by putting
washers under the lower end.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Chris O'connor.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, muzza, your sugestion was the way my friend decided to go. The spring in question is a radial arm spring. Too many gimmiks in the design resulting in bad geometry in powering the hammer. Rossi have messed up a design that has been working fine for 150 years.

Chris Ocon.

Posts: 13 | Location: North Wales (UK). | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote