THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Advice on Ruger No. 1 barrel change needed.......

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Ruger No. 1 barrel change needed.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As is not unusual for me, I went slightly overboard and bought a custom stocked Ruger #1 in the early Dec. Rock Island Auction. Here

It is really well stocked in European Walnut, in spite of auction description, and has a very good trigger. Without doubt the stock work is worth well in excess of what I paid but......

The problem is, it is chambered in .17 Mach IV.

I don't want or need a .17, of any description. Should I have it rebarreled, rechambered, what? If so what would be an easy and reasonable rechamber or new barrel caliber? I really appreciate your recommendations. I'm sitting here at desk without a mic, but current barrel is 24 inches, nice rust blue color, and about 21/32 inch wide at muzzle.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
450 Nitro would be a good choice; 375 minimum. All the #1 actions are the same and the ejectors are very forgiving too.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
CAT... ive got a Winchester m70 that was rebarreled to the 17 mach IV.... and I have several boxes of factory Remington ammunition for it....the 17 mach IV is the same as a 17 fireball... according to "cartridges of the world"... the small 20 gr is death on gophers, rabbits, small game....no recoil at all.. you can see bullet strikes in your scope...but if you decide to pull the barrel, I'm interested when you do....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
450 Nitro would be a good choice; 375 minimum. All the #1 actions are the same and the ejectors are very forgiving too.

I think it would need a good recoil pad installed if it is to become a big bore.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The nice stock you wanted is already fit to the current barrel and you describe the current barrel finish as "a nice rust blue color". I suggest you keep the barrel and rebore/rechamber for another cartridge. Take your choice (within reason).

Rebore/rechamber without changing the extractor:

.223 Remington (5.56mm NATO)
6mm-223 Remington (6x45mm)
6.5mm TCU
7mm TCU
.300 AAC Blackout

Or make a slight alteration to the extractor and rebore/rechamber to just about any cartridge that will safely fit within the current barrel.

How about a nice .260 or .308?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice 300H&H?

Custom qtr rib while they're at it?

Lovely rifle.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shoot it as a .17 Mach IV before you decide to rebarrel.

It's a great killer of vermin and very economical, too.

Without knowing your tastes or gaps in armament:
    Do not require changimg extractor
  • .221 Fireball
  • .204 Ruger
  • .222 Remington Magnum
  • .223 Ackley Improved
  • Any of the TCU cartridges (6mm TCU, .25 Ugalde, 6.5mm TCU, 7mmTCU, .30 TCU)
  • .300 AAC Blackout

If you don't mind changing out the extractor, consider one of the PPC cartridges (.220 PPC, 6mm PPC).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote