Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight popped off
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
My front sight blade is obviously not tight. 3rd shot and we were looking in the grass. Found it and need to fix it. What will hold it in place. All I have is JB weld but figure that is extreme. Any ideas. Thanks

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Well, the usual questions come to mind like what kind of sight is it, what gun is it, how was the sight attached to begin with?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Assuming it's a dovetail, the easy fix is to stake it with a center punch. It doesn't take much, just a slight tap.

I've also seen someone tap the top of the ramp to bend the leading edge down and tighten the female dovetail.

That can be invisible if done right.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Its a dovetailed blade. I have no idea what style the front sight is. It was not attached at all just slid in and popped out when shooting.
A center punch on the top? Sounds too easy.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "adjust" the dovetail on the rifle so the sight fits tightly.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
If I don't stake them in place, I have put a thin piece of shim stock under the sight to make it tight enough to stay in place.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I prefer to tighten a dovetail by driving the material back in place with a smooth faced punch, working the front and rear edges. That and a drop of 271 LocTite will prevent things from moving.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dimple the bottom of the sight with a prick punch raising burrs or find a round rod of a dia.wider than the dovetail and tap it hard enough to just bend the top edges of it down very lightly. Hammer on the cheap part first!!

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Use the JB Weld or solder it back in place. Don't let the barrel get over heated!

I have used Acra-Glass for expoxying a sight base onto a barrel. It's still there after 20 some years.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote