New
Find
Notify
Tools

headspace revisited
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not so much headspace but rather the stipping of the bolt.
I can't seem to get the pin for the extractor plunger driven out of the bolt I am working on.
What would the difference be if I checked the headspace with the plunger and the extractor still in place??????

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The removal of the extractor etc before doing a head space check allows you to "feel" the bolt engagement with some sensitivity.
It is not mandatory though.
Most head space gages are ground steel and some even have cut-outs for the extractor or extraction plunger.
If you are using a set of just go and no-go gages, you can try without removing the extractor. Just be careful not to force the no-go gage.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are the type with a extractor groove in it.
I am just concerned because all I have read on the subject says to remove the plunger and extractor.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most head space gages are ground steel and some even have cut-outs for the extractor or extraction plunger.

Well since we're revisiting headspace, let's include correct terminology. The extractor pulls the case from the chamber and the "ejector" 86's it. Big Grin

White Eagle, you didn't say which gun it was you were wanting to check the headspace on, but what little I've read on this thread, I'm assuming you are referring to the "ejector", which is spring loaded.

There are several manufacturers who use spring loaded, bolt nose "ejectors". Some retaining pins are "direction specific" because of the splayed end which acts to anchor the pin firmly in the hole.

You may need a magnifying lens and a good light to see which end is larger. The pin is driven out that side.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up clap
I am working on a push feed winchester model 70
I did notice that one side of the pin is set in a bit and the other is flush
I already broke one punch on it but I may buy another and try it again
Do you happen to know which is which as far as direction ? dancing
thanks

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Spray a little something in the pin hole to loosen things up. The push feed M70 I have here has a roll pin holding the ejector and can go either way.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When removing the ejector from Remingtons, I drive that pin from the top down, on the Winchesters, I turn it over and drive it out from the bottom. I don't know why, but it works for me.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote