Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
Has anyone ever removed the front sight element from a Husqvarna M146? I'd like a larger front bead that's a few 0.001" taller but while I can see that the insert is dovetailed fore and aft, I can't figure how to get it our without destroying anything. bewildered

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 but havent removed them, dont ya tap foward with a brass punch

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I tried that but was pretty gentle with it as I didn't want to break anything. I find that my best gunsmithing skill is damaging something that I can't replace in a place where I can't easily remove it. Then I have to break out the Dremel and we all know that it's downhill from there Big Grin

I may apply some heat and tap harder.

Thanks

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I tried that but was pretty gentle with it as I didn't want to break anything. I find that my best gunsmithing skill is damaging something that I can't replace in a place where I can't easily remove it. Then I have to break out the Dremel and we all know that it's downhill from there Big Grin

They drifyt out from the rear to the front. Some are frozen in place due to the 60+ years they have been in. Careful with the heat, the ramps are only soft soldered.

The real trick is finding a taller sight? The Master piece blades can be made to work but are not drop in replacements.
I may apply some heat and tap harder.

Thanks

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heat will expand the metal and make it stick harder won´t it? I´d try a good degreasing solvent and let it sit for 24h, then apply some more and then tap it.¨
Just my 2c

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil soak it for a few weeks

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote