Find
Notify
Tools

porting a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CORNERSTONE
posted
I have a custom rifle(308 win) that is quite heavy ( about 10 lbs )and the recoil is kinda lite, but the Dr. says I must shoot at or less than the equal of what a 243 will produce due to a port in my chest. This gun is a real shooter and I do not want to lose that, but a 15% reduction in felt recoil may get me there. Ideas???????

Thanks,
ED

Thanks,
ED

Posts: 148 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of all the muzzle breaks I have shot the KDF seemed the best.

Also, a suppressor just about eleminates recoil in a 308.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why take chances. Buy or build a 223 with at least a 1:9 twist.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your Dr is making a generic recoil level recommendation, but have you done the actual math with him?
Get a specific pound/foot and velocity recoil limit (not just "243 level"), than work out the number(s) using your current rifle.

Porting is more directed at muzzle lift, than is is for recoil.
On brakes, the louder they are, the better they work (simple physics).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you send it to Magnaport. that should get you there. I have it on several rifles and it never changed the way they shoot and does not alter the appearance like a brake. But if you want a brake, take a look at Vais.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have installed mercury filled recoil reducer for my recoil sensitive clients with very good results.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Britain, where pretty much everything else is banned, we ARE however allowed to put sound moderators on deer huting rifles.

They seem to reduce reoil because of their weight.

I don't. I don't like them and in any case I have both iron sights AND a 'scope on my rifles.

But back to the OPs question. Nothing is ever "for free". There's always a bill to be settled.

With porting you'll find that the reduction in recoil comes at the cost of extra muzzle blast.

Me? If I want I can download or use "Managed Recoil" ammunition. Or buy a 243 Wincgester, 6mm Remingon or 257 Roberts.

I'm sorry for you that your MD's advice may well be the "bad news" for your 308.

The only other suggesstion would be to handload 100 grain bullets or 120 grain bullets for it to 243/257 equivalent muzzle velocities.

Having a larger base area they should also recoil less than the direct weight equivalent in 243/257.

Thank you but NO THANK YOU to the extra blast that porting will give you.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Get a dif dr

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Get a dif dr

That might be worth looking into. I would find out if your Doctor is a hunter/shooter.

ie Does he know anything about rifles and recoil???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mike Ryan.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a serious health issue, why screw around? Buy/build yourself a heavy 6mm Remington and use mono-metal bullets for hunting. Don't jump over dollars to pick up dimes.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote