New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstock Duplicator Machines
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What machine is best? What makes it better than the rest, and is that machine still being made?

TIA, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I think I know this one!!! (only because I did a search on it two nights ago and read up ;-)

The Hoenig. It is a 5 axis machine. I don't remember where the extra 2 axis come into play, but it is considered by some of the very best in the business (Chic and D'Arcy) to be the only one to use.

Do a search on stock duplication and you should find some information on it. You will probably also find names of people that have one and provide the duplicating service.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMac,
The Hoenig Rodman as Dago Red stated is the best by a long shot. Nothing else comes close. You can create a vertical plunge with the router bit, in essence, boring a hole. The others will not do that. You can approximate that on a Dakota by unlocking the axis and feeling your way down. The Hoenig is also much more accurate than the others. The downside is that it is slower and uses a smaller motor to do the cutting, which may or may not be a disadvantage.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of both worlds would be a Hoenig type with one of the 3-1/2 HP router motors. Easy retrofit.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the Hoenig machine still in production?

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunnut,no it isn't. When it was made, he only produced 3 a year and the price for the last ones was around $17,000. Not exactly your
home shop equipment.

John, I am sure that George considered or experimented with that. I have run a Hoenig and imagine that vibration and cutting speed has something to do with the accuracy and quality of the job.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know where there are any photos of the Hoenig or, barring that, where one is that a person could go and look it over and watch it run?

I'm trying to get an idea how a Hoenig functions and pictures or a quick look would answer a whole lot of questions.

Thanks for the responses, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMac,
Go here and then to the shop tour. Mark has access to a copy of a Hoenig duplicator. It is not exactly the same but close enough. The real key item that this copy does not have are the radial clamps. I have some digital photos of them I could send you. It helps shorten the distance between centers to one third of normal and thus reduce the vibration and error potential.