THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK to put 300HH barrel on a 375HH action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi!

A newbe poster wondering.
I have a Winchester classic 375HH and I am now considering putting a new barrel on it in the 300HH caliber. Is this going to cause me feeding problems in any forseeable way? The gun wears an Echols Legend stock and Blacburns stainless botommetal(wich was ordered to fit a 375HH rifle). Any aditional alterations nedde to make the rile work 100% digesting the 300HH instead of the 375HH?

Regards, Klein.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Test it before you do it by inserting a few 300 H&H "dummys" in the magazine and see if they feed peopeerly.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Terry is on point, but you shouldn't have any problem. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I went from a 7 mag to a .300 H&H on a M70 Classic. I thought a .375 H&H follower would be a "no brainer" for the conversion. It wouldn't feed worth a flip with the .375 H&H follower installed, but with the shorter 7 Mag follower in place it feeds well enough to bet your life on.

All I'm saying is if it doesn't feed the dummies well don't give up hope.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's funny...I did this very same thing in time for a Christmas present. Some problems cropped up. The top round wanted to jump out of the magazine...I replaced the follower with a Mauser 375 aftermarket and ended up replacing the extractor.....now everything functions perfecly, but I still can't figure out the "why"...there might have been some wear factor...just proves nothing is easy!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

From what I can figure out the 300 is more narrow across the shoulder compared to the 375 so the logical thing might be to swich out the magazine box and follower to ones made for the 300. On the other hand, I am not sure if it'll be compatible with the 375 bottom mettal from Blackburn. I guess a workout with some 300HH rounds trough the actiom will tell if there are going to be any major feeding problems.

Regards, Klein.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote