Find
Notify
Tools

Opening Weatherby Orion ANSWERED/SOLVED/OPENED
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Due to circumstances a friend is having t go through some guns to determine the status.

He came a cross a Shotgun that he can not open the action.
It is possible that it has been some time since it has been opened.
One guess I had is the use of WD 40 way back when or other "drying type oil and surfaces that should move are "glued" in place.

Anything unique about this gun that could cause the issue?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you remove the foerend? Dribble some mineral spirits with a few drops of gun oil in it into every metal crevice and let sit for a half hour. Then try again. You may end up taking the butt stock off and lubing up the workings.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

The Weatherby Orion is a temperamental bitch. There are numerous things that could cause it not to open. The first thing you have to do is drop a rod down and see if there are spent cartridges in it. If there are, one of the firing pins could be stuck forward. You have to take the butt-stock off and re-cock the hammers manually and then work it free. It could also be something in the fire control. Best thing is to take it apart and remove the mainsprings and then try to work it open.

Here is a video showing how to deal with the mainsprings:

https://youtu.be/Suekw70BKVE

If it is the old style Orion it will have a Kersten locking system. If you move the top leaver to the right and the Kersten block doesn't come out the side, it means that the bar on the top lever is broken and Weatherby does not have any more. You would have to make one and silver solder it in.

The best advice I can give other than that is to pull off the for end and butt stock and start removing parts until you get it open. Not to much help, but that's how I generally approach them. They had a LOT of problems!

As a matter of note: Some of the SKB shotgun parts will interchange with the Orions. But those parts are getting scarce too.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thanks one and All, it is opened. the gun is in TX I'm in TN going on what I am being told.

Apparently the action was glued/stuck/jammed from old lube as I originally thought.
Just a little more encouragement properly applied several times and it opened for them.

If there is no wood or plastic involved, brake cleaner and/or Kroil are my typical solutions for sticky/stuck gun issues.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your decision. Want or need help, call me. Always willing to serve. 541-483-2182

Dennis Earl Smith

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote