Find
Notify
Tools

REBORE & FEEDING PROBLEMS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted
I recently had a Winchester model 70 rebored from 25-06 to 338-06. I did not shoot the rifle in 25-06 configuration and had shipped the brand new rifle of for reboring the same day it was delivered. The problem is that it now feeds very poorly (I don't know what the feeding was like as a 25-06). A gunsmith in South Africa tells me that it won't feed because of the rebore and I need to order an all new magazine and follower from the US!
My thoughts are that the 25-06 and 338-06 use exactly the same case and that, at worst, it will require only minor "tweaking". Any advice will be much appreciated. Adam

Posts: 76 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Is the rifle a CRF or push feed? It would help to know what kind of feeding problem are you experiencing. The body of the 25-06 and 338/06 are the same with the exception of the neck and OAL. The larger diameter bullet may put the round a little out of position with the bottom of the extractor on a CRF as it climbs the ramp, but it shouldn't require much more than a little tweaking to correct. Feeding should have been tested before leaving the shop.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
It's CRF with the non-rotating claw extractor.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Okay, now what kind of feeding problems are you experiencing?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
Some cartridges seems to be "misaligned" as they are pushed against the chamber wall and not into the chamber. The bolt invariably just slides over the last cartridge without gripping it. Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate.