THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What steel is used in Cooey 22lr barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Hi folks.
Can anyone tell me what steel was used by Cooey in their 22lr barrels? I have a barrel (which appears to be interal with the receiver) and I want to use it for a centre-fire rifle. It is long so it would suite a large case, medium pressure cartridge (like a 22/303 Imp).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that you will find that the 22lr barrel has a tighter bore than the 22 centerfire cartridges.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I think that you will find that the 22lr barrel has a tighter bore than the 22 centerfire cartridges.
Butch

True.

Don

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
22lr barrel has a tighter bore than the 22 centerfire

That's a given. But not a problem. My hornet is a 223 bore and I only use 224 bullets. Maybe that's why I can shoot 60gr bullets in it. It makes no difference to pressure. In any case, I would be hand loading. But for a comparison, consider the UK made two-groove 303 barrel. It has a bore of .304 (mine does) and two narrow grooves. So, effectively, a .312 bullets is being driven down a .304 bore! Someone did experiments with oversize bullets and found that if the bullet will chamber, an 8mm bullet can be fired from a 5-groove 303 barrel without any noticeable rise in pressure.

So, the question still remains, what steel is it? Oh ... it's a i-in-15 twist. (My Toz 22lr has a 1-in-14 twist! But that barrel, although it is 4140 steel, is too short for the 303 case).

(If I cannot determine the steel or it turns out to be too soft, I will build a switchable chambered 22Mag/cast bullet hornet rifle on it).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I have found out that this barrel is a Model 75 military trainer COOEY PATTERN .22 In. But no info on what steel was used - only that it was a single shot target rifle.

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically rimfire barrels are made of low carbon free machining steels not normally considered suitable for a high pressure center fire. I would guess that the steel is about like the steel used for a muzzle loader.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
That was my first thought too. Then I had the 'bright' idea of nitriding the bore. So I took out the barrel to have another look and found that it did not seem like the low-carbon steel one would have expected. It looks and sounds like high tensile steel. I am not sure one way or the other. There are ways of testing it. I could measure the load deflection and even the hardness. It was made to military specs, but .... ?

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
knowing Cooey, it is probably just hot rolled mild steel.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, buckbrush. I do notice that the chamber is not cut concentric to the bore. I will set it up in the lathe and turn off the bits I don't want - then I can tell what grade of steel it might be. I'll just use it for a replacement hornet barrel.

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Integral with the receiver ? Are you sure it's not just barrel and receiver press fit together ?

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right, mete. It looked like an integral receiver at first but why would they do that? The extractor cut-out on the breach face would not be possible otherwise.
But why would they have used a 1-in-15 twist? The model 82 is 1-in-16. (Unless I measured wrong! - Will check again).

Regards
303Guy