New
Find
Notify
Tools

shortening barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A very old friend of ours is having difficulty holding his rifle steady, because of the weight, (he is 76), one of the other problems is that he uses a 308 with a muzzle break, this was fitted because he was complaining that he lost picture sight when he fired. He now has noticed that the deer after hearing the shot even in the far distance retreat to the cover. He has asked if there is a solution to his dilemma. We suggested to fit a T8 compact this would however increase the leverage of the rifle with the extra weight being placed on the end of the barrel, to compensate for this we propose to shorten the barrel by approx 8" thus giving the rifle a barrel length of 16" and reduce the leverage of having a moderator fitted.

How will reducing the length of the barrel to 16" on a 308 affect it? Obviously the muzzle velocity will be reduced but are there any any other side effects?

regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Increased muzzle flash. If you reload, you can to some degree compensate this by using a quicker burning powder. Otherwise, wear hearing protection when you shoot the rifle, perhaps?
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
griff
I have shot a lot of game with an 18" 308 and it worked just fine. There is one company over here [USA] that makes moderators [we call them supressors, or silencers] that only stick out past the end of the bbl 4 inches or so, the ramainder of the "can" comming back over the bbl itself.

I am sure someone over there could duplicate the desigh.

A replaceable rubber O ring was used to seal the "can"/barrel seam.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE,
did the accuracy suffer?

We have the T8 reflex(and several others) here which is a slide over the barrel moderator. Do you get any unburnt powder in the moderator after you shortened the barrel?
regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griff,

A shorter barrel with a moderator is an excellent idea.

I would strongly reccomend you do not go below 18". 20" is much better with 19" a compromise.

I wouldn't use a reflex - they are bulky, rust like hell and the compact is not very quiet. On a 16" rifle you will be horrified how loud the report will be!

I have a 19" rem 700 in 243 with a PES custom. I have shot it alongside a friends 24" 6.5x55 with T8 reflex and it's only the tiniest bit louder. It balances an inch in front of the action screw, weighs 9lb with scope (standard Mcmillan) and has an overall length the same as if I had a 26" barrel. If your friend is going to be using factory ammo I would reccomend the next diameter up which is a fair bit quieter (I manage noise by not using more than 40gr of powder unless I have to) and about an inch shorter.

PES take about 2 weeks to a month to order, the custom is a lot lighter as it has no internal sleeve - this means a stainless barrel is better or a bit of care after shooting. The cost is £225 plus threading but being stainless they last for ever (not true of a reflex) They do not require a neoprene sleeve as they do not 'ting'

I hate moderators - I like this tool so much I've shot most deer this season with it and am likely to build a 7mm08/308 version when funds allow. Were I to do so I would not go below 20" barrel.

Adam

243 is a lot more sensitive to barrel length reduction than 308

I'll send some photos by mail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Griff,

A shorter barrel with a moderator is an excellent idea.

I would strongly reccomend you do not go below 18". 20" is much better with 19" a compromise.

I wouldn't use a reflex - they are bulky, rust like hell and the compact is not very quiet. On a 16" rifle you will be horrified how loud the report will be!

I have a 19" rem 700 in 243 with a PES custom. I have shot it alongside a friends 24" 6.5x55 with T8 reflex and it's only the tiniest bit louder. It balances an inch in front of the action screw, weighs 9lb with scope (standard Mcmillan) and has an overall length the same as if I had a 26" barrel. Initialy I had 4ozs in the butt but manage without now I have the Mcmillan (glued pad)

If your friend is going to be using factory ammo I would reccomend the next diameter up which is a fair bit quieter (I manage noise by not using more than 40gr of powder unless I have to) and about an inch shorter.

PES take about 2 weeks to a month to order, the custom is a lot lighter as it has no internal sleeve - this means a stainless barrel is better or a bit of care after shooting. The cost is £225 plus threading but being stainless they last for ever (not true of a reflex) They do not require a neoprene sleeve as they do not 'ting'

I hate moderators - I like this tool so much I've shot most deer this season with it and am likely to build a 7mm08/308 version when funds allow. Were I to do so I would not go below 20" barrel.

Adam

243 is a lot more sensitive to barrel length reduction than 308

I'll send some photos by mail.