New
Find
Notify
Tools

rechambering 30-06 to 338-06 in canada
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could any of you fellow Canadians give me a realistic price for the rebarreling/rechanmbering of a Win. Fwt. from .30-06 to .338-06 . I want to use it for a general purpose gun in the Rockies, don't need a match grade barrel but would like something that could shoot reasonably well. Just courious of the approximate cost before I contact a gunsmith. Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
To give you a ballpark estimate, you should be able to get a chrome moly barrel (shilen, douglas or equivalent), chambered, installed and blued for around $450.00 - $500 (CDN of course), give or take. Truing the action face, lapping bolt lugs etc should be included.

Trigger work, bedding, sights etc would be extra.

I have never had a barrel rebored, so I can't say if that option would be cheaper. I have always been told it works out about the same in the end.

You may find prices in Calgary a little more expensive. The gunsmith I use now is very affordable (and only 3hrs from Calgary). He's too affordable in fact. I can't afford not to have him working on another gun at his prices. If that sounds like a shameless plug, its only because it is.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoehne

The only thing I have to add to Canuck's advise is since labor is a large part of the rebarreling cost, it is false economy to use a bargain price barrel, go with a quality name, Shilen, Douglas, Krieger, Pac Nor, Hart, Lothar-Walther, etc, etc.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote