Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 11 STUCK BOLT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
So a friend called me from our hunting lease (I will be there tomorrow) and said his bolt is stuck, won't open. (I need to confirm it's empty, but believe so).

Where should I start tomorrow when I get there? I've never worked on a Savage before.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find out if it happen after he fired it

Could be struck because of a over load

Make sure the safety is in the proper position.

If you still can't get open and you know it is empty see if it is cock it not dry fire it and see.

If nothing then pull it from the stock.

Posts: 19527 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about Savage rifles but is it worth taking a rubber hammer or wooden mallet in case it's possible to hammer the bolt open ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2069 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not do that first.
First, make sure the safety is in the Fire position. Some savages have safeties that lock the bolt.
Second, ask him if he fired a round; if so, then open the bolt with force. It will either come out or break off the extractor, or shear the rim. If it does that, punch the case out with a cleaning rod.
Removing it from the stock won't help.
Every time I hear this story, it is from reloads that had issues.

Posts: 17247 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloads or a neglected chamber that is corroded. Brass mechanically locked. Or fired the wrong round. Like a .308 in a 25-06. That will really lock one up!

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Do not do that first.
First, make sure the safety is in the Fire position. Some savages have safeties that lock the bolt.
Second, ask him if he fired a round; if so, then open the bolt with force. It will either come out or break off the extractor, or shear the rim. If it does that, punch the case out with a cleaning rod.
Removing it from the stock won't help.
Every time I hear this story, it is from reloads that had issues.

Posts: 3758 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I will know tomorrow!

A few years ago I found a Springfield 40 S&W that some d$psh$t left laying out in the field - long enough to really rust it up. I dropped the mag, but could not get the slide back. No way I was going to carry this thing back with me without knowing a round was in the chamber or not. I carry WD-40 in all my tool bags, so I soaked it good and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Got it to open, empty chamber. Whew!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Putting a cleaning rod or stiff wire down the bore will tell you if the round has been fired or not.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7770 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Solved. I won't tell you what to avoid embarrassing my friend, but 100% user error!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The safety was on and the bolt was locked.

Posts: 17247 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

dancing rotflmo tu2

I will never admit it, but I have been there.
Thank god I am way too stubborn to ask for help.
(next time I picked up the rifle flicked safety off & opened the bolt as normal 2020

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

BINGO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the simple things are our problem.

A buddy brought me a 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka that he couldn't sight in. Couldn't even hit the paper at 50 yards.

It turns out that 6mm Creedmoor ammo isn't accurate in a 6.5mm Creedmoor barrel, but it does cycle just fine.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
At one time I had about a dozen rifles built on the Mark X action. About half had the safety bolt lock and half didn't. After one time with the bolt locked when I REALLY wanted it to one they all changed to non locking. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would have still brought the hammer -- and hit the shooter a couple of times.