THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Question/Opinion on Model 70 action for Gunsmiths or whoever knows

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question/Opinion on Model 70 action for Gunsmiths or whoever knows
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would be your view on having the extractor cut on the barrel taken all the way around?

Reason. To allow two or more actions to be set up so barrels can be changed between actions. By the way, push feed M70s are not the answer since these M70 CRFs are already in place and are owned by a friend of mine.

Thanks.

Mike

[ 10-02-2002, 11:40: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Mike---

You'll lose about 20% of the support of the threads and, more importantly, you change the gas handling ability in a major way.

The "safety breech" of the 03 and M-70 directs gas leakage into the extractor slot and out the right side vent. Otherwise gas can come down the left rail and into your favorite aiming eye.

<John Lewis>
posted
Nothing more to say. Jack hit the nail on the head. Too much of a sacrifice of strength.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack and John. Never thought about the thread aspect.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Mike, another thing I thought of was the feeding also. You would be cutting the entire cone area away and that could negatively affect feeding.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what about increasing the cut 50%? still forcing it to the right side, but allowing it to allow "margin" for either?

I do NOT mean cutting 1/2 the shank, i just mean increasing it from(what 1/2 an inch?) to 3/4?

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack B,
In many cases the gas still comes back and hit you in the face and leaves little curl q's of smoke leaking out of your facial skin,,,good case for shooting glasses...better case for the Mauser 98..albiet, as you know, I am still a M-70 fan for second choice....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although it is not considered the proper way to do it, I have seen too many M70s barreled with a flat breech face and with no apparent ill effects to think that it's a real problem. One guy typically does his target rifles this way. If the extractor is cut back a bit there is still plenty of shank. This doesn't mean i like it only that it will work.
The pre-64 doesn't handle gas worth a darn anyway so you are not compromising much in this area
The bottom line? Not accepted practice but will work OK. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mike I would rather achieve proper barrel timing on the cone breeched M70's by taking all the necessary measurements then facing the receivers a wee bit till the barrels timed TDC on both. You're going to square the receiver face anyway. Just do the math.

[ 10-03-2002, 16:15: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was my thought on the whole thing. Do the math and face off the receiver that needs the least taken off. It might be a bit difficult to determine which one, but it can be done.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim and Bear Claw.

I don't think you could do that without altering the bolt face.

If it was push feed, all that is done is the barrel is chambered to a faced back action. The the barrel is fitted to the next action by having that acton faced off so head space is the same. Now of course unless we were lucky, facing off the second CRF action so the barrel has the same headspace will mean the extractor slot does not line up. So where do we go from here without altering the bolt face.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By Golly you are absolutely correct, why didn't I think of that?

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mike it is easy to do. I do it a lot on M70 CRF for folks who what to rebarrel to a big bore for Afrika then put the original back on when they get home.

P.S. I misread you post but still think it can be done using two actions.

[ 10-08-2002, 06:10: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote