one of us
posted
BTT

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Hey Redrider,

I live in Auburn. I'm assuming that when you say HVA you are talking about a Husqvarna action? As to that question, I'm not sure. I think some of them were made by FN. Not sure which is better.

Are you chambering rounds correctly? They have to be pushed down into the magazine, then the bolt cycled, or you have to press on the extractor to have it snap over the cartridge head. They don't operate like pushfeeds. Don't just drop it in and expect it to snap under the extractor.

If the trigger is bad, replace it. Sounds like you need to try a different gunsmith. I've had the problems you are describing with a Mark X trigger, it's gone now. I've had good luck with Bold triggers.

I had one of the chambers polished on one of my JC Higgins because it was to tight. The bolt would close on rounds, but you had to push down hard. Then after pulling the round out, you could see where it was pushing the shoulder back. Funny, the barrel looks brand new in this one

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey J! I live near the U-District.

Yup I mean Husqvarna when I say HVA. My bbl says, "HVA action, Made in Sweden." What I find funny is that there is a phone number for Sears on the bbl too.

As for stuffing the bullets into the magazine first I allready knew that. That's why I don't understand how the rounds could pop in front of the CRF.

I allready replaced the trigger with a Timney, but don't like it. Also I haven't had a chamber cast made but i think the chamber is fine. Full sized cases chamber easily and come right out

Thanks for the replys.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
redrider,
I would not spend $35 to have Timney look at it. You can buy one of their triggers for that and they are easy to install. In my opinion, as much as I do like the HVA's (they made a bunch of them for Sears), the FN is a better action. Some of the HVA's had aluminum bottom metal and some had steel. I prefer the steel but that is just my bias.

How are you guys coping with the snow today. Snowing here but we are used to it. Hauled my daughter back to the U on Sunday and that area seemed to have been spared the Sunday snow rodeo.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had similar experiences with Timney triggers (difficult to re-cock after dry firing). It may just be the trigger; hopefully some idiot didn't try to 'fit' your trigger by altering the cocking notch helix in the back of the bolt -- that could also give you problems with bolt lift, I would think. Look to see if Dayton Traister makes a trigger to fit it -- their triggers are great, concerns with potential for breakage of the flat spring notwithstanding.

Good luck sorting it out.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Customstox,

I've got a half inch of ice covering everthing, including the snow. Tree limbs are snapping off, just a regular mess. It's still raining and freezing, on top of the 5" of snow. I hear that I-90 is closed from Northbend to Ellensburg because of drifts. It's going to be a hard year on the deer herds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering what caliber is your HVA. I have a hva that was at one time a 6.5x55 military rifle and is now a 9.3x57. Everyonce in awhile one will jump ahead of the extractor but mine has had something done to it to allow the extractor to go over the grove of the case. I think some of the metal was removed to let it slip over. It the gun was rebarreled then this could be part of the problem. Other than that it could be one of those slide rails to fit all types of cartridges things where they make the rails to fit as many types as possible then everynow and then you have one that does not work exactly right. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote