New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 40X v Rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the magazine fed repeater version, what is the difference between the Remington 40X action and the Remington 700 action ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a word, price. On top of that, the 40X has a trigger that could be adjusted for weight externally and the side of the receiver is marked "40X". Could never figger why someone would want to pay an extra grand or so for one.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a word, price. On top of that, the 40X has a trigger that could be adjusted for weight externally and the side of the receiver is marked "40X". Could never figger why someone would want to pay an extra grand or so for one.

eek2 eek2 eek2 eek2 eek2 Heresy!!!!

jump

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....
I own a couple 40X repeaters so here's my take.

Rifle #1 is a 1976 vintage 308 with a 27" SST barrel. The test groups from the factory were a matched pair of 0.28" one holers. The factory barrel is still on the rifle, the throat is washed out, but will still clean a 600 yard target if I do my part.

Rifle #2 is a 40XC with a McMillian adjustable stock and is a 1/8 twist 223. The factory groups were in the 3/8" range, but I have fired several sub-1/4" groups with the rifle using 24.0 gr of RL-15 and a Sierra 80 gr. MK.

I've also had rifles built and here's a general cost breakdown:

Remington 700 BDL rifle $550
McMillian Stock $350
Bedding & Fitting $100
Replacement trigger $150
Barrel $300
Barrel Work $200
Machining Clip Slot $ 50
$1700

All in all a 40X is a reasonable deal.

John in Oregon

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only owned one 40xbks and have owned several 700's.The 40xb in 6mmrem consistantly shoots .400" five shot groups.When I bought my 40xbks about 15 years ago,the 40x's were required to shoot 1/2" five shot groups before leaving the factory.I was told when I ordered mine, that the 40x's shoot better because they are built from hand picked actions and barrels at the remington custom shop and more handfitting is used to build them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
In the magazine fed repeater version, what is the difference between the Remington 40X action and the Remington 700 action ?

Hammer

I keep hearing about quarter-inch groups from the 40X as it comes from the factory. I have a heavy-barrel 700 BDL that was a .243 Winchester before getting rechambered for 6mmx284. It had lugs lapped also, and shoots half-inch groups without a lot of effort, in three different stocks ( two are pillar-bedded, the third is a synthetic with bedding block ). I'm curious how it would shoot with a better operator...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have owned the repeater version in .308 Win and the M40XBBR benchrest version. The .308 shot like Rifle #1 above. The BR rifle would get down to the .1s, then I would get all excit4ed and get back to the .4s (aggregate).

The reference material I have says the difference is in the dimensional consistency, heat treating and hand work given the M40s.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I called Remington and asked what the difference is. They said they start with a 700 series receiver, remachine part of it to "true it up" and use a better trigger. Sounded reasonable to me. I think I would rather start with one of the aftermarket actions that I can get made the way I want it for less than the retail on a 40x. Just personal preference.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!