Find
Notify
Tools

Does KG-Gunkote work well?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted
I was thinking of having a stainless receiver KG-koted, just wondering about the durability of this. Does it scratch off, and how does it look?Thanks

<RVB>
posted
KG Gunkote is the best! I've used everything from 10X to Teflon, KG beats them all. The stuff is very easy to apply and is tough as nails. Be aware that it really hardens up after a few days once you take it out of the oven. I tested this on a piece of scrap and tried scratching it every few hours after I took it out of the oven. You can handle the parts as soon as they cool off, but 48 hours later I could barely scratch the surface. If you coat the bolt and the interior of the action, you won't believe how slick the action will feel. Like it's on ball bearings!

<Celt>
posted
KG is great stuff. Like RVB said after a couple days out of the oven it wears like iron.

A key to getting it to work well is to make sure you grit blast with at least 120 grit aluminun oxide and degrease degrease degrease.
I bake mine at a little higher temp and for two hours instead of one hour. It darkens the lighter colors just a tiny bit, but as KG told me it does make it a bit harder.

Celt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't expect the teflon finishes, KG included and in fact particularly, to stay on the sharp edges of an action. I had a customer have it applied by a shop and when it didn't work it was sent back to the KG manufacturer who did it again. They are now going to do it for a third time supposedly with their "new" product. They admitted that it did not hold up well on sharp corners and thought he should round them off. He said no way. We will see how it stands up. So far it hasn't been up to his satisfaction.

[ 01-06-2003, 20:45: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Catcher,
I had Mac's Shoot'n Iron Restorations do two CS actions with SS barrels. Celt has it right the prep is the most important. Mac got started doing duty weapons which are a tough service. My experience is that it hardens in time. One of my barrels got a small scratch in the first week and I'm not even sure how. After that no problems except the obvious areas like camming surfaces on bolts, etc. Sharp corners do show wear and I agree probably faster than blueing. Carried one in a leather scabbard on a rough horse pack trip this fall, for a total of maybe 50 hours and was amazed to not find wear spots.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote