New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith for refinishing walnut?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Browning Low Wall in .260 Rem that my wife gave me a few years ago. It is the best lookin' rifle I own, and has the most beautiful Walnut I have ever seen on a factory rifle, but Browning insisted in covering all that gorgeous figure in a high-gloss epoxy finish.

A couple of things I would like to have done to this rifle: Have the gloss finish removed, and replaced with a top-notch oil finish, and have a 1/2" decelerator installed. Can any of you fellas recommend someone who does quality work of this nature?

Thanks,

John

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hondo,
Before you refinish, you might try cutting that shine with rottenstone or maybe some fine pumice.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel wool (0000 grit) and a little oil will take down that shine, too.

Posts: 47 | Location: Hurricane, UT | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hondo,
Before you refinish, you may want try cutting that shine with some rottenstone or fine pumice.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For sure try rubbing it out. I use Dupont automitive rubbing compound, water and fine steel wool. Be sure and take the metal off first.

Second, Browning used to paint on fancy grain. It was a faux finish. Once you striped it you got plain white wood. I don't know if they do it anymore, you might check before you strip it.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once stripped the wood from a Citori Grade III to refinish it for a friend. When the finsh came off, so did several small areas of checkering from the grip! The finish remover apparently melted the glue used in numerous checkering repairs on the beautiful but soft Claro stock. I'm not a fan of glossy plastic finishes, but you never know what that poyurethane is holding together.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one good woman you got there. A beautiful gun in one of my favorite calibers.
I'd think long and hard before I entrusted it to anyone to refinish. I'm sure it could be done, but that is one beautiful stock, and I'd sure hate to see it come out less than perfect, cause it sure is pretty now.
Good luck if you decide to go forward, and for goodness sakes, post a pic when it's done.