Find
Notify
Tools

scope bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted
thinking of having my bases epoxied to my reciever to stop worrying about loosening.Is this a big deal project? Confused

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Not a big deal, but also not necessary, IMHO.

Why are you worried? Have they ever loosened on you?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Looseness:
I have hundreds of guns and take allot of tools to the range.
Half the problems with accuracy at the range in my guns and other people's I help with, are loose scope mounts.
Two holes in the target over here, followed by two holes way over there.... good chance it is loose mounts.
The scope rings never get loose on the scopes.
The scope rings never get loose on the mounts.
But the mounts get loose on the receivers, and the only way to check, often, is take the scope and rings off and check the screws for tightness.
The mount threads in the receiver and the threads on the screws need to be clean of oil before putting on the Loctite.
The threads may be drilled and tapped and cleaned, but later get greasy again when a barrel is screwed into the receiver. Cleaning solvents in preparation for Loctite for the mount threads should be kept out of the barrel threads as much as possible if the barrel is already screwed in.

2) Alignment:
a) One piece scope mounts are easy to align.
Put on a bore scope, the bottom half of the rings, a scope with the cross hairs centered so that when the scope is rotated, the cross hairs stay on the same point. Shim the mount until the centered scope is bore sighted or +20moa. Put epoxy between the mount and the receiver with loose mount screws. When the epoxy is hard, tighten the screws. The rear ring and front ring will be aligned if no one has ruined the rings by lapping them.
b) Two piece scope mounts are much harder to get bore sighted and aligned before epoxy is applied. It can be done with more skill or more fixturing. A good check that dual Weaver mounts will not present a bind on the scope is to put the rifle on flat surface with a light behind the rifle. The edges of the mounts should be co- linear and the tops should be co- planar. Using just a scope with Weaver mounts to align two scope mounts on a rifle to fixture for epoxy takes some skill and iteration. Even new rifles with a pair of dual Weaver mounts in the rifle box will mount way off alignment. If your time is valuable, you may want to give up and get Burris Signature rings.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Brownells acraglass mixed black with fine results.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proper torque, and Loc-tite is the answer... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it also doesn't hurt to use a drop of red locktite between the base itself and reciever as a bedding compound.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
The rifle I have has a non-stressed reciever and is very thin,,the base screws are only 5mm long or maybe a little longer.I also thought about opening up the 6-48 screwholes to 8-40,,the epoxy thing seems the most expediant,tho I am open to suggestions. Cool

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bed my bases with epoxy for 2 reasons.
1. The radius of receivers and rings are not always a perfect match.
2. They stay with a heavy recoiling rifle.
A little heat will release them if necessary.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BIG1LOST, I would definitely go to the 8x40 if that is simple enough for you to achieve. I can tell you Leupold thinks a drop of oil in the threads and then tighten the screw is the way to insure good tight mounts--and yeah I said what I meant to, and what Leupy says a DROP of oil in the threads!

I will tell you that working in a gun shop got me to where I am comfortable in mounting screws, and that is this. I DE-GREASE the screws and holes agressively with citrus gun scrubber, and then sock em down with an appropriate torque--15-25 in/lbs on scope base screws (25 for 8x40 torx). I can tell you that those suckers will really stay there, and I have never had to use loctite. I took apart a bunch of guns/scope rings/bases/ over the years, and the ones assembled with the 'degreased by citrus' methods were actually a bitch to get apart--a little heat helps there too.

Having said all that, I am not against Loc-tite at all, I use the red bottle, blue liquid, no. 242 on all the screws on my compound bows. Clean with some citrus or denatured alcohol and then use the loc-tite--really holds em.....I personally think epoxy is overkill--but that's why there's chocolate and vanilla--or degreaser and loctite and epoxy!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote