New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of barrel removing set-ups?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My local ag repair and fabrication shop owner and I trade services from time to time.

His kids have been sick often enough now that I can get him to build me a barrel clamp rig.

If anybody has a picture of theirs I would appreciate a peek. Also, how strong of an hydraulic jack should I use? The local auto parts stores have them from 4 to 20 tons in capacity.

Thank you.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look in brownell's catalogs there's several pictures.

They'll even send you a new copy, I just got one n/c less than a month ago.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6014 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep,

I have a tattered copy next to my night stand.

Many ways to kill a cat though; and a lot of innovative talent on this board.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, if you don't hit paydirt on this site (it is early days after all), ask over on Benchrest Central. The guys over there seem to be changing barrels like other people change underwear, and a lot of them do their own smithing - many of them either professionally or on a pretty high (amateur) level.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a picture of a:
1) barrel wrench bolted to a heavy bench
2) collets bored from 1.5" Alluminum stock
3) an action wrench

I have standardized on 1/2-13 threads, and I built another setup for another AR member to remove Savage barrels in the field. The round barrels and round receivers, like Savage and Remintion can be gripped with the collet system. Where as the flat bottomed recievers, like Mausers and Winchesters use the "V" and flat action wrench.

Sometimes to get old miltary barrels off, the leverage and my couple hundred pounds will add up to over 1,000 foot pounds of torque to break free the rust in the threads. Once the threads have been cleaned and lubricated, putting the barrel back on with 100 foot pounds means it comes back off with 100 foot pounds.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lawndart-

Clemson put together a nice tutorial over at MFRC.

flaco

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here is a very good one. You see them on ebay quite often.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug:

Damned fine pictures, explains a lot.

Many thanks for posting.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6014 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here is one that I made that works quite well.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote