Find
Notify
Tools

RKW Finish Stripper?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Chic, Jim K, all you other folks gifted folks...

Some years ago I read the details of what to use and how to user it, for stripping off the Remington RX-7 factory finish. (Or is that RK-7? My memory is drawing a blank on this stuff...anyway, that real hard, shiny, epoxy-like Remington finish...)

Of course I saved the article. Of course, too, I've also forgotten where I put it so I wouldn't lose it. Now I need it.

What works?

Thanks, AC

(Edited to change name of product to be stripped from RX-7 to RKW)

(Over the last 70 years I spent most of my money on women, beer, and guns. The rest I just wasted.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A scraper!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Citristrip, available from Walmart, Kmart etc, will take it off.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the Remington RKW, and any other similar finish, I use Easy Off oven cleaner. Luckily I have not had to strip one of those in years.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
On the Remington RKW, and any other similar finish, I use Easy Off oven cleaner. Luckily I have not had to strip one of those in years.

Marc - "RKW"...that's the name I was looking for! Thanks!! I don't have to do one either, never have, thank Gawd.

But I do have a buddy up in northern Ideeho who is determined to do one. He just got a used .260 mountain rifle, the wood of which looks like it was dragged behind a goat all over Boundary County. So, am trying to save him a heap of sanding.

Thanks a lot all you guys for your help. Any additional suggestions will also be gratefully received.

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use JASCO Paint & Epoxy remover. I tried Citristrip once and it didn't work at all; only thing I can figure is the stripper may have been old--I'll have to try that one again. JASCO works well but melts through my nitrile gloves and will melt synthetic paintbrushes.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC,

Be glad you're only offering the advice and your buddy the determination & elbow grease. The stock must really look like 10 miles of bad road to want to go through that ordeal IMO.

That RKW finish will eventually come off but the couple Remington 870's, 1100's and BDL's I've done have cured me of that ambition forever - not my idea of a good time!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
This is the citristrip that I use. It's an Orange gel in a clear jug:

I've used it to strip remingtons, brownings and beretta's and it worked on all of them. I just slop it on thick, wrap the part loosly in aluminum foil and wait 30 mins befor cleaning up with a stiff nylon brush and mineral spirits. I don't know what the aluminum foil wrap does, but I read the tip somewhere and it works.

Here's a remington 660 stripped and refinished with tru oil: The stripper does not hurt the black plastic parts on the stock.

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I second the scraper idea.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote