New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen twist rate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just did a search on AR and discovered that a discussion of this topic in 2004 generated the concensus that 1-14 is a good twist rate in the 35 Whelen for 225/250 grainers. Is this still the majority view?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Howe and Whelen did the .35 Whelen, they settled on a 1 in 12" twist. At the time, bullet weights considered proper ran from 250 to .300 grains. A 275 gr. bullet was considered quite good in the Whelen and IIRC, When Elmer Keith hunted Alaska, or was it Canada, he used 275 gr. bullets in his Whelen.
I have three rifles chambered to the .35 Whelen and plan on two more. two have 1 in 16" twists and they're OK at best. A custom Oberndorf mauser I picked up at an estate sale has a 1 in 14" twist which is better. Thw two I plan on building are a Husqvarna FN style mayser action that will have a synthetic stock and be set up as an all weather rifle. The other one will be built on a Ruger #1B 25-06 that has a shot out barrel. That will be more of a fair weather rifle. Both will have 1 in 12" barrels.
Why Remington brought the Whelen out with a 1 in 16" twist is beyond me. I cn only gues that because that was what they used in their .35 Remington guns, why go to the expense of setting up for the proper twist rate. By the same toker, why did Ruger follow suit with a 1 in 16" twist? methinks a few people at remington and Ruger had the heads up their rectal orifices.
I have on hand, 35 Hornady 275 gr. round nose bullets that I've been saving for the new Whelens. They were discontinued before Hornady came out with their first loading manual in 1967 so there aren't many of those bullets around. never know. I might win enough in the lottery to be able to afford a big bear hunt in Alaska someday. They'd be the perfect bullet for the job in the Whelen.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote