New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pitting on a G33/40 - Problem Solved!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good evening gents. I have a G33/40 small ring begging to get a 7x57mm barrel on it.

It has some pitting under the wood line (aftermarket Bishop brand stock).

Can I dremel out the holes, and then fill them with a MIG welder (wire feed). I would then have the receiver ground, and re-heat treated. Is this a rational plan? What about Ray's idea of using baling wire. Not so easy to find these days. Plan A would be to rust blue the result. Plan B would be Cerakote. Thanks in advance. Obviously my first (and only real) concern is safety.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had it done with TIG. But if it's under the wood line, I would probably just live with it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree, if it's under the wood line just leave it and you won't have to re-HT either.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes you can; forget the bailing wire thing; that is a 1930 way of doing it. Now we have TIG and MIG welders.
Anyway, yes, as they said, just ignore it.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I dont.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am admittedly OCD. I want it to look as good where you cannot see it as where you can. I may attach a more revealing stock, ha, ha, ha.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. LD

are you going to use one of those 1909 guards I sold you a few years ago on your g.33? Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely. The receiver as is is hard for my OCD to deal with. I hope to clean, pickle, hog out the holes (delicately), get them filled by a better welder than I am, have the action ground down and blue printed (possibly). Then I would polish the 1909 bottom metal.

New Burgess bolt handle, a little firing pin and bolt plastic surgery. Re-heat treat just to be sure. Rust blue, and then likely SELL IT.

I cannot afford the type of rifle this action deserves to be made into.

How about a .275 cartridge on a Westley Richards type rifle, or an early 1900s Rigby styled Mauser.
I will sell the action for a fair price. The rifle came to me for $150.00 in 1983. I did not know what a G33/40 was. I used it as a boat, and truck gun for twenty years.

It has a nice competition style adjustable peep sight in back, and a skinny 7.92x57 barrel with a bright brass bead up front. I can shoot four orange clay targets off hand at 100 meters before the barrel heats up too much.

I may take the steps to improve and protect it, and shoot it until I die. My wife can then sell it for transformation into a work of art. My best experience with it was shooting two green heads on the fly up near International Falls, Minnesota, where it presently resides. Cool

If all the markings are buggered up, or gone after grinding, I will have them restored by Atomic Engraving, with their heavy duty laser system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate your wisdom, but I would feel bad if I didn't make it structurally sound. If no one wants to buy it, I'll put on a new barrel, and go back to using it as a truck, and boat gun.

Newest Member Dino Beligotti[/quote]