New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now here’s a woodworker!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up a copy of WoodCraft magazine and saw an article on the New England Hand Plane Competition, hosted by the Woodworker’s Club of Norwalk, Con.

One of the events requires the contestant to plane a shaving off of a 7 foot long/2 inch wide piece of White pine. In order to be considered the shaving must be the entire length and width of the board. A retired cabinetmaker named Frank DiConstanzo was the winner with the thinnest shaving at...are you ready for this? .001†thick (or thin!), measured with a Starrett drop micrometer. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th place guys were only a few thousandths behind.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but can he stock a pre-64 Winchester in the classic style using English walnut? Then I'll be impressed!!

Doug

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. My grandfather before he passed away gave me a toolbox that he won at a hardware store raffle back in the 40s or 50s. You open the Stanley chest and it has a handsaw, chisels, square, level and a couple of beautiful planes that look like they were barely used. I've used the medium sized plane a couple times and they are really fun to use and really work. But having used it I can really appreciate what it would take to do something like that guy did. That is impressive.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Those planes are worth some money keep them in good shape. . .

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
Yes, but can he stock a pre-64 Winchester in the classic style using English walnut? Then I'll be impressed!!

If you have ever attempted to square up a stock blank using a hand plane you will appreciate this feat allot more.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:

He could probably do it with ease.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:

He could probably do it with ease.

Maybe not. Setting up a plane is a technical exercise.
Making a stock is an artistic exercise that requires technical expertise.

Setting up a plane takes one side of the brain.
Making a nice stock requires both sides of the brain..........

......Some of those old Stanley planes are valuable by themselves. A set in a tool box with documented provenance may be far more valuable than you think. I strongly suggest you have them appraised by a reputable tool collector and have them insured accordingly. Then treasure them as a gift from a loving relative........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only posted this because I thought that anyone interested in wood working (which allot of people on here are) would appreciate it...NOT to make the claim that because the guy can do this that he could build rifle stocks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, even though the second, third and fourth guys were only a thousandths or so away, that is twice the thickness that he did. I love a good plane and use several when I trim wood off stocks. I have one that allows you to curve the shoe of the plane by turning a dial, made by Stanley in the early 1900's. When they are sharp they do wonders and keep a straight surface.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

As my dad used to say, you can’t beat a man at his own game!

I’m sure that as a cabinet maker this guy did his fair share of planing over the years...but I still thought this was pretty incredible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, what he did is incredible and the your post was a good one. I did start to lust a bit when I heard about the boxed set of stanley planes though!.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
That boxed set of tools that my grandfather gave me even has an old Stanley catlogue that came with it. I also think there is a bit and brace if that is the correct terminology. And a woodhandled push screwdriver. All of the wood handles on the tools are cherry or rosewood colored, very nice. And the old Stanley label when you open it up. Maybe I should take a picture.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple pics:

one of us
posted Hide Post
A well set up plane can cut a shaving off the narlest burl,the rest of use use the belt sander Smiler

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
Here's a couple pics:

WOW!

That actually took my breath away for a sec.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats got to be worth some really big bucks.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downwindtracker2:
A well set up plane can cut a shaving off the narlest burl,the rest of use use the belt sander Smiler

I just recently talked my doctor into letting me have sharp objects again...but power tools are still a No-NO! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
posted by djpaintles:

quote:
Setting up a plane takes one side of the brain.
Making a nice stock requires both sides of the brain..........

So that's what been going wrong! Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar , Thats a cool tool set , Id say its worth some coin.

I have a bunch of my grandfathers old tools that I luckly rescued from my father when gramps died. My father was going to through them away Eeker.

I have a very large hand drill kinda like pictured with a 1/2" chuck and shoulder butt plate . Its a 2 speed , you move the gear/crank to another hole to run on the secound set of teeth.

One thing my grandfather had that I could not get because it was to heavy to move at the time. I wish I would have rented tow truck, is a very large safe that had the front blown out by dynamite. The door was intact but had a hole with pealed back metal. Gramps found it out in the desert near Barstow Ca back in the 1930's and hauled it home.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downwindtracker2:

Unfortunately a Belt sander will never cut sharp and square as a plane. Besides no power tool will ever have the same wonderful feel as a sharp hand tool cutting wood.
Besides, power tools scare me...........DJ

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Gsp7,

Thanks for the compliment. I've always enjoyed it. One thing that I forgot to put in the picture that is part of the set is a tiny little vise that clamps to any tabletop. It's really cool and I actually use it quite a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-war 70: Now here is something that amazes me. Your quote, "my grandfather, before he passed away, gave me..." I have often wondered how he could have given it to you after he passed! Huh?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Kobe, in other words, shortly before he died, as in his death was quickly approaching and he knew it. And if it had been willed to me, he could have given it to me after his death so that is possible too. I know you're from Ely and all but come on.

Good to hear from you though and hope all is well.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope, but he can do it using white pine......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote